Problems with some radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I believe the system in my house is quite old. I have a cold water tank in the loft and a hot water tank in an airing cupboard upstairs.
I have a BAXI SOLO 15 HE boiler and an old style Potterton EP2000 controller both located in the kitchen.

All radiators have what i believe is called a wheelhead valve? Its a plastic cover with a + and - on one side and just a plastic cover on the other end of the radiator.

I have a 3 story house with the following layout:

Ground Floor:
Garage, Little room, Hall and Toilet. There is one radiator in the hall.

First Floor:
Kitchen, Dining Area, Living room. There are 2 radiators on this level.

Top Floor:
Bathroom, 2 bedrooms, Airing Cupboard. There is one radiator in each bedroom and we have a heated towel rail in the bathroom (used to be a radiator).

One problem i have is the radiator on the ground floor. This is nearly always cold. The only way i seem to be able to get it hot is to turn off all other radiators in the house, but when they are turned back on it goes cold again.

The other problem is one radiator in the living room is also cold. The pipe leading to the wheelhead valve is cold and the pipe on the other end of the radiator is warm. I have bled this radiator.

I hope one of you knowledgeable people can help!

Thanks,
Alex

Sponsored Links
The rad in your lounge probably needs the "lock shield"(other end) valve opening more just pull the cap off and open it z couple of turns with a spanner

In your airing cupboard look at the pipe work. After the pump is the a connection with a section of pipe and a manual valve before the motorised/zone valves?

The radiators need balancing using the lockshield valve on each radiator.
There is a FAQ on doing this in the forum.
That should sort it out.,

This is what i have in my airing cupboard

Is it possible to balance the radiators without a thermometer? Just feeling the pipes and see if they get hot?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The basic principle is that generally you want to restrict the flow thru the upstairs rads which will push it thru the lower ones but a thermometer will allow you to do it properly

Was there supposed to be a picture in that post?

I sometimes do a quick balancing of rads for free when I service for regular customers other wise I would charge for half an hour on top of service maybe this is an option of younger your boiler serviced

Yes there was meant to be a picture. Not sure where it went
http://i.imgur.com/N1kKC.jpg
I've turned the heating on and adjusted the lockshield valve on the problem rad in the living room and its now on, as is the one in the hall downstairs so all seems good...for now. Those radiators do seem to have minds of their own sometimes so hopefully this will sort it.

I know it depends on the plumber and area but on average what would the cost of a service/balance be? I live in Surrey if that helps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back