Replaced programmer, boiler always on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I have replced a Danfoss Set 5 programmer with a Danfoss FP715. I followed (I thought) the wiring conversions with the instructions, but as soon as I turn on the power, the boiler fires up, even if the programmer is set to off. The boiler turns off after about 5 minutes (I assume when the water is hot), but I cannot turn it off. I have looked at the wiring diagrams again, and I think I may have connected the Boiler Live wire incorrectly. It is connected to the L terminal of the Programmer. Does anyone know where I have gone wrong? :oops:

Sponsored Links
The L terminal of this programmer is for the live feed into the programmer. Your boiler should be controlled from any 3 port or 2 port valves you may have installed.

Terminal 4 on the Danfoss is heating on, terminal 1 is water on and terminal 2 is water off. (1 and 2 might be other way round :oops: ) Wiring diagrams should clear the confusion

OK thanks, so at least I know now where my problem is! (I am assuming the flexible cable in the wall box is the boiler - all of the others are solid copper). Now all I have to do is identify which of the wires is from the valve. This is an existing system, all I have replced is the programmer, so the cables are already there. Is there a convention as to which core colour goes where - the system is about 12 years old, and there are red and yellow cables.

What motorised zone valve do you have if any? Do you have a room stat?

Sponsored Links
I have not found a zone valve, but there is a room stat in the living room. There is also a stat on the cylinder. Many thanks for your help.

I would think that if there is a cyl stat then you must have a zone valve somewhere :confused:

Is it a fully pumped system or gravity primary, 2 or 4 pipes off boiler?

Room stat is usually red live in, yellow switched live out to valve/boiler, blue neutral, may or maynot be an earth.

Cyl stat, basic 2 wire is common live in, terminal 1 switched live out.

I would expect that terminal 4 on 715 goes red to room stat and yellow goes to zone valve motor or boiler live & pump.

Traced the "live" from the zone valve, connected to boiler live, and now works perfectly! Thank you for your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back