Replaced shed roof and leaking help and advice needed please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hey guys

im generally a handy DIY'er so to speek and will give most things a go

on the weekend i had to replace my shed roof, size 3.6mx3.0m
the whole roof was shot so i completly redone it all

this is what i did i repalced all the 6x2 joists 600mm apart used 9mm OSB board (8x4) ontop then used roll felt over the top of the osb boards with a 50mm over hang on each strip allowing a nice run off.

the roof itself is on a slope of about 10/15 degrees

now its rained all weekend and on the joists where the osb boards have joined there are drips of water coming through into the shed not a massive amount but around 4 dripps on 2 seperate joists and its concerning me. The osb boards are dry underneath so i dont think its the felt.

any advice on how i can fix this? another layer of felt on to[p maybe? have i missed something important for a basic waterproof shed?

help needed as soon as poss as weather not good through winter and do not want all my hard work and new wood to get ruined,.

thanks

Sponsored Links
Did you nail it? 9mm is a bit stingey.

i screwed the osb board to the joists and used 20mm felt nails for the felt

im gutted its leaking as dont want to take it all of and start again. i was advised that if i was not going to be hanging anything from the ceiling or walking on the roof at all then 9mm would be fine for a few years

The likelihood is that the construction being flimsy it bounced when you hammered home your clouts. I suspect that is where the leaks are coming from. Go round them with some kind of sealant.

Sponsored Links
how do you mean sealent? should i remove the felt and seal all the joints and then relay the felt ?

just refelt over the existing felt?

im struggling to find where the water is getting in as the whole roof is coverd and felted.

Its best to avoid using any tacks, try a heavy duty green mineral felt.
I would use a torch on felt but this is probably beyond your means so either stick it down with cold adhesive using a notched trowel, ( keep the adhesive warm before using, easier to apply ) or failing that fix it down with some roofing battens going up the roof and try to get the nails/screws to hit the joists.

Give the felt more lap, 50mm is not really enough.

You would have been better to ask for a bit of advice before rather than after. If you are not going to seal the the laps, then at that pitch I would say you need to have 150mm overlap. Rubberoid do a lap mastic.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back