Replacement batten lamp holder wiring question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

I have a batten lamp holder in the under stairs cupboard that has broken, so I went to replace it but have a question about the wiring of the existing fitting. Hopefully someone can help.

This is the set-up; the lampholder is plugged into a socket with a regular three pin plug. There is also a push-to-break switch in the door that is wired from the lampholder.

Here's how the existing fitting was wired up (with all the plastic sheath removed):

full

When I removed the existing fitting, I was surprised to see both of the live wires go into what looks like the Earth terminal. I say "looks like" because there's no markings. The terminals on the left and right are directly connected to the pins that contact the light bulb though, so I presume this third one is earth.

I have another angled batten lamp holder that I was going to use to replace it, also with three terminals, that are clearly marked with L, N and Earth.

full

So my question is, is it normal (and more importantly safe) to have it wired up as it was? If so, it's a simple case of replacing it. If not, what would be the better way of completing this job.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
The old lamp holder was designed to have the live loop ( the two reds) connected to it. The new one is not, and certainly we DO NOT connect 230volts to a terminal marked earth!
Your best option is to get another Batten lamp holder that has separate loop connections. Alternatively connect the two reds together in a separate piece of insulated terminal block - aka choc block.

The old lamp holder was designed to have the live loop ( the two reds) connected to it. The new one is not, and certainly we DO NOT connect 230volts to a terminal marked earth!
Your best option is to get another Batten lamp holder that has separate loop connections. Alternatively connect the two reds together in a separate piece of insulated terminal block - aka choc block.

Ahhh...so the third terminal isn't earth. That's good, because as you said, the thought that it was connected up as I originally suspected worried me.

I'll pick up a new one. Something like the Crabtree, with 4 terminal blocks, should do the trick then? https://www.screwfix.com/p/crabtree-angle-batten-lamp-holder/27220

Taylor is correct but also you should ideally have an earth wire running to all points.
Since it's not part of the fixed wiring due to the plug, it's not a complete requirement, but unless the bulb holder is marked as double insulated it should really be present and terminated correctly.
Good luck, John

Sponsored Links
Thanks John. It will be a pretty simple job to replace the current flex with an earthed one (it's not chased into the wall or anything, just a few cable clips), so I will do that to be on the safe side.

Academic, now it's been replaced, but maybe it was the earth terminal, and was unmarked or the marking broke off?

Could you see if it was connected to the body of the bulb holder?

Taylor is correct but also you should ideally have an earth wire running to all points. .... Since it's not part of the fixed wiring due to the plug, it's not a complete requirement, but unless the bulb holder is marked as double insulated it should really be present and terminated correctly.
As you say, since it's technically not part of the fixed wiring, the regulation probably doesn't apply. However, to be a little picky, if it were part of the fixed wiring (and since it's not a pendant lampholder, which is specifically exempted), I think the requirement for a CPC to be 'run to all points' would apply, even if it were marked as double insulated, wouldn't it?

Kind regards, John

, I think the requirement for a CPC to be 'run to all points' would apply, even if it were marked as double insulated, wouldn't it?
So do I, maybe my wording wasn't 100%.
Chances are the earth terminal is just a parking terminal in this case, so edit:The Bulb Holder could be legitimately used on a non earthed lighting circuit,. Edit with no connection to the parking terminal
Edited due to not 100% wording again:LOL:

Last edited:
Academic, now it's been replaced, but maybe it was the earth terminal, and was unmarked or the marking broke off?

Could you see if it was connected to the body of the bulb holder?

Hadn't thought to check that before. When I pulled the third terminal out it sits in a plastic sheath/holder but makes no contact with anything conductive. Seems as though it is just a parking terminal after all.

View media item 101114

Lamp sockets of a certain age(like the one in the pic1) often had a terminal for the live loop.
This terminal was not accessible from the lamp end. Do there was no chance for a stray finger to get zapped.
The newer type (pic2) has an earth terminal that ends up on a metal rivet at the lamp end. Good for L1+L2 tests but not for a live connection.

it could be legitimately used on a non earthed lighting circuit,.
To be clear, The Bulb Holder could be legitimately used on a non earthed lighting circuit with no connection to the parking terminal. Not, the terminal could be used for a live loop!!:eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back