Replacement BBU?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I've currently got a Baxi Bermuda 401 which, whilst old, still works happily and gives stacks of heating and hot water. Just wondering though that, should it die one day, are there still any Baxi BBUs in manufacture? And how much would replacemtn fitting be?

I'm aware that I've got to go through the points system if and when it does die but I'm just curious to see if one is still in production. It's got to be a Baxi though as I got a new firefront 18 months ago which I'm rather keen on, a Baxi SP3.

Thanks for your advice!

Sponsored Links
Baxi have just announced a new back boiler which meets the current efficiency requirements. When it will be available and price has not been stated.

The only problem, from your point of view, is that it now uses an electric fire in front of the boiler. So you recently acquired SP3 may be redundant.

Why on earth do people want to keep these useless heaps? Buy a pound of gas, chuck 50 p out the window. :rolleyes:

Wrong many back boilers where above 70% efficient and then you had the small benefit of heat given into fabric of the building through flue route

Sponsored Links
Hi, and thanks for your information! ben, I know they're not the most efficent but it works and, until very recently - 12pm today in fact - I was unaware that they was an energy-efficient BBU around and the cost of putting in a condensing boiler is prohibative, especially as there's nothing wrong with the back boiler. Out of interest, does anyone have SEDBUK ratings for the Baxi Bermuda 401 (with SP3 firefront if applicable)?

Thanks again gents!

Wrong many back boilers where above 70% efficient and then you had the small benefit of heat given into fabric of the building through flue route
Afaik there are no figures available for overall or total efficiency for the uk, but most bbu's I have seen were old, poorly installed, virtually not maintained, with unlagged pipework and cylinders and enormous draft due to compulsory 24/7 ventilation. Draft costs more energy to compensate than any other single heatloss. Add that all up, and you will average a lot closer to 50% than above 70%.

Hi all, I've currently got a Baxi Bermuda 401 which, whilst old, still works happily and gives stacks of heating and hot water. Just wondering though that, should it die one day, are there still any Baxi BBUs in manufacture? And how much would replacemtn fitting be?

Baxi still make your BBu for a one to one swap, that`s why you were able to get a new firefront. A lot of housing associations I know of just replace the BBU when old one dies, dunno how they are doing it but it must satisfy regulations. As for the argument about being inefficient etc, there are not many condensers out that will see 30 plus years, give you decent flow rate at hot water taps unless you oversize and rarely break down apart from the odd thermocouple.

I`ve got an `old heap` of a BBU, never let me down. When I don`t need it I just turn off permanent pilot. Interesting to work on, maybe I`m being sentimental but if it ain`t broke don`t fix it. Don`t believe all the guff about condensers being so efficient, in this country they never will be.

As for heatloss through the air vent required for the BBU, you may say the same if you open a window for fresh air, probably open all day, most in the house if you are like me.

Bengas ok im all ears show me your working outs so you get 50% or is it just your personall opinion .... I think i know what the the answer will be

Start off at 65% as quoted above, add the loss for the usually unlagged pipes and cylinder, say 10 - 15% and you are there.
And we are hoping of course that the boiler is serviced correctly, with the heatexchanger nice and clean and the baffles in the right place so the heat is directed THROUGH the heatexchanger, rather than around it and straight into the chimney. The last one I saw was so clogged up that I doubt more than half the heat actually was recovered.

Na not good enough actuall fact and figures still hearsay and personal opinion your reason would also bring condensers down

Steamers don't need ventilation as far as I know, and as you may remember, I am not a great fan of cylinders, especially vented.

Some still need compartment vents.
So it is just your personall oinion then glad we got that sorted out. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back