Replacement BBU?

Ah, I thought it was a bit funny.
Mind you, a steamer that needs compartment ventilation can't be that good.

Sponsored Links
So ben have you never read the installation instructions for the worcester CDi etc you say are so good.. This is quite basic

Sponsored Links
CDI does not need compartment ventilation.

Worcester 24CDI MIs:

Installations in cupboards or compartments require
permanent vents for cooling purposes, one at high level and one
at low level, either direct to outside air or to a room. Both vents
must pass to the same room or be on the same wall to outside
air.

This one does. :LOL:

Bengas .. now i suggest you read it yet again. I gave yo a bit of rope and you have chose to hang yourself instead of checking.

It does not need a vent in compartment PROVIDING minimum dimensions are met , same as a lot of boilers

Now you like to use the word cowboy on here about installers would you class as cowboy not even knowing the basics of a boiler you fit regularly or would this be an over sight

..It does not need a vent in compartment PROVIDING minimum dimensions are met , same as a lot of boilers...
Those minimum dimensions are 5 mm to the side, and 20 mm to the front, and compulsory anyway. It doesn't say in the manual that it needs ventilation if the box is smaller, it says that you MUST HAVE them as a minimum to allow servicing, not for cooling. For the CDI that is, didn't check all the other manuals.

Try page 13 your forgeting the 200mm under the boiler and the 30mm above the turret.
As it says no ventilation is required in a compartment if minimum clearances are maintained ....which means if minimum distances are not then compartment ventilation then applies.

These clearances are for installation and servicing it could so happen that a cupboard smaller is then put around the boiler that is removeable for servicing in which case compartment vents would be req
Yes its nit picking but still a case of compartment vents being req for a steamer

....which means if minimum distances are not then compartment ventilation then applies.

No, it does not. In clear print, no ifs, buts, howevers or exceptions; distances MUST be maintained; it is an explicit requirement.

These clearances are for installation and servicing it could so happen that a cupboard smaller is then put around the boiler that is removeable for servicing in which case compartment vents would be req
It could so happen that somebody has done this, but it would be a contravention of the M.I., not requiring ventilation, but alteration.

Yes its nit picking but still a case of compartment vents being req for a steamer
Maybe your manual is a different version from the one I have got, but mine definitely does not read:"If you were to ignore the compulsory minimum distances, don't forget to drill some holes for ventilation."

M.I. must at all times be followed and override general regulations as you well know. The document explicitly stipulates distances and does not mention anything about situations where ventilation is required. Had the manual not read: "MUST be maintained" your point would be arguable, but defendable, but isn't in this case.

This is a room sealed appliance and does not require any air for combustion from inside the property.
If the appliance is fitted into a cupboard or a compartment is built around the appliance AFTER installation,then the compartment must be seperated from the boiler space by a perforated non combustable partition as described in BS 6798.
Notwithstanding the requirements BS 6798 and BS 5440 there is no need for ventilation openings in the compartment because of the low heat loss off the appliance IF the clearences shown ARE MAINTAINED.

Straight from worcester website

No mention anywhere that the boiler cannot go in a smaller compartment and if it did ventilation would then be required because the minimum has not been maintained

Yeah and the next line says for the install and service and maintainance of it .
It does not say the boiler has to be in a compartment that size during normal working condition which is why its changes to dimensions ARE MAINTAINED when speaking about ventilation. As it says cupboard/compartment might be fitted after installation
aka kitchen/purpose built cupboard/ that can be taken off wall for servicing and maintanance

well it doesn't matter, cos my dad cos have both your dads so there...:p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back