Replacement Boiler - Questions

eob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,
our old boiler sounds as if it is on its last legs.
We have the British Gas covercare but it is on their limited parts list.

Just had the addition of twins to the family so obviously a breakdown would be pretty disasterous at the moment.

Had a quick quote from a local plumber of £1500 to replace the conventional boiler with a combi (unsure if it is condensing) and fit TVRs to all (10) radiators.

I have two quick questions regarding the upgrade which are bothering me:
1) We have solid wood flooring downstairs and a tiled reception room and en-suite. Can the installation, other than the removal of the water cylinder, be done using the existing pipework?
2)At the moment, the shower in the en-suite is fed from a pump. Will this work with the combi or will it have to be removed? I have read that there can be pressure drop whilst using a combi fed shower and other appliance.

Thanks,
Ed

Sponsored Links
The shower pump will have to be removed. At that price no wonder you're having to ask all the questions.

Can the installation, other than the removal of the water cylinder, be done using the existing pipework?

If your old system was vented then the CH pipework may not take the new pressure. :(

Hot water pipes will be ok but will need to be modified.

Shower will be ok after removing pump but pressure will fluctuate if other taps are opened. :D

our old boiler sounds as if it is on its last legs.
We have the British Gas covercare but it is on their limited parts list.
Beware BG tell you crap like that so they can sell you a new boiler! The parts that never go wrong are taken off the spares list after ten years. the parts that dont go wrong are usually available long after.
Take your BG plan money and stick it in a building society account instead. Pay for your servicing and repairs out of it and start saving for the day when your boiler does bite the dust with the rest.

What make of boiler do you have BTW?

Sponsored Links
What make of boiler do you have BTW?

We have an Ideal Elan 2. BG have checked it annually for the past 3 years and have been called out once, for what turned out to be a faulty diverter valve.

If your old system was vented then the CH pipework may not take the new pressure. :(

Shower will be ok after removing pump but pressure will fluctuate if other taps are opened. :D

Excuse the ignorrance :oops: But how can I tell if my system if vented? It has a small header tank in the attic if that helps. If it is a vented system, what are the options? Lifting the floors is not one. :(

By how much will the pressure fluctuate? If its only by a little then I suppose we could live with it. I've checked and both the washing machine and dishwasher are mains cold water fed so it would only be if someone operated a hw tap.

At that price no wonder you're having to ask all the questions
[/quote]

I'm with you there, Nixt . This chap must be working for nothing. I think we can guess why. :D

At that price no wonder you're having to ask all the questions

I'm with you there, Nixt . This chap must be working for nothing. I think we can guess why. :D

Can you fill me in on the joke here? The chap who gave me the price was the plumber the builder used to fit a rad in our garage conversion. Seemed nice enough.
What would be a ballpark figure for this sort of work?

And thanks everyone for your comments. I always feel that I'm getting the shaft by tradesmen because I'm not in the know. (And sometime I feel that the house/estate/cars on the drive affect the price which is a shame cos I'm skint! :LOL: )

If he was replacing a radiator for a builder then make sure he is CORGI registered by asking to see his photocard before you ever consider letting him do any gas work!

Tony

Can you fill me in on the joke here?

It's no joke, read up on what is now required by Building Regs Part L1, Benchmark and the manufacturers and you can work it out yourself. But so long as you're happy.

For £1500 it will be a cheap poor quality boiler.

Price a Viessmann, Vailiant or Worcester Bosch and see how much they are plus pipe, fittings, flue kit, timer, room stat (If you dont have one) and TRV's! soon adds up if you buy quality.

You get what you pay for and with new babies you dont want a break down from a dodgy job or merchandise.

I would have thought £1800-£2000 + VAT would be nearer the mark for a good quality combi with a valid warranty from an installer who will be there afterwards and all the extras to meet current regulations.

I would have thought £1800-£2000 + VAT would be nearer the mark for a good quality combi with a valid warranty from an installer who will be there afterwards and all the extras to meet current regulations.

Still too cheap gas.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back