Replacement ceiling -Does Ins Co need to replace downlights?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone

I had a leak in kitchen / dining area a short time ago.

The ceiling was taken down and some downlights were damaged.

When the new ceiling goes up can the old lights be refitted or do they have to be the new type that conform to the new regs?

The builder for the insurance co said dont need to but when I spoke to the claims management co they said they said they had allowed for new lights.?!

Is the builder pulling a fast one by trying to refit old lights?

Thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
The builder shouldn't be doing the lights, an electrician should !

If the claim includes replacement, then find out the value of the light element of your claim.

Once you know that your will then have an idea of budget.

Basic GU10's are £5 inc lamp, going up to £25 with high power LED bulbs in. Then there's energy saving and energy save 'dimmer' ones at £12 /£15 a pop.

Re-wiring depends on condition, but consider doing it (even at your own expense) because it's under the bathroom and a once only opportunity to do it.

Not knowing the site conditions and assuming it's a 1st and 2nd fix rewire over 2 visits, allow circa £300 for labour / wiring / misc materials and you costing the fittings / switches as a separate item.

Best to get local costs via estimates, my figures are ball park based on my area, my time, my suppliers.

You've got someone else paying for the ceiling to be replaced - this is an ideal time to get rid of the downlighters and install lighting which works properly.

Proper Lighting ?

What do suggest ?

I know GU10's are a pain ... dont last 5 mins

Sponsored Links
And how many did you have to light the room? Add up the wattage and imagine the equivalent amount of old fashioned pendant lighting - pretty bright, I imagine. (Not that I am suggesting that as a replacement).

The market is awash with lights which do a better job of room illumination (not difficult) than 2" recessed downlighters. You can still have minimalist if you want, and you can still have flush/recessed if you want, they'll just be larger.

Start googling for flush & recessed fluorescent lighting. There aren't just long tubes available, so with round ones, 2D, the various flat-U shaped ones (e.g. PL) there's a lot of flexibility in luminaire design.

High Frequency ones are flicker free and instant start, and can be dimmable.

Look into magnetic induction lighting, cold-cathode and dielectric barrier discharge.

You could try finding lights using Osram's new Planon product (a dielectric barrier discharge panel), but you may struggle to get them to answer any queries.

You've got someone else paying for the ceiling to be replaced - this is an ideal time to get rid of the downlighters and install lighting which works properly.

my downlights work perfectly fine - perhaps your`s were fitted wrongly?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back