replacement CU

Sponsored Links
Should I run a bonding conductor from the CU to the adjacent gas meter cupboard for the gas fitters to bond the meter and gas pipes?

NO

You run bonding conductors (nominally 10mm²) to the gas, water, oil incoming services. These go to the MET.

That is all. Do not run additional earth conductors to bathrooms, kitchens, boilers, or spiral staircases. It is not required.

Bonding of the boiler is not required (note this is not the same as earthing). Nor is bonding of sinks in kitchens.

Also you do not need bonding in the bathroom IF your earthing is up to spec and all circuits in the bathroom are protected by RCDs.

There is already bonding of the gas pipe after the gas meter. The earth wire is taken from the fuse box. The only earth connection from the electricity supply is sealed.

The problem I have now is that the functional earth connections for the RCBOs have small pins at the end of the lead. There is a space for a smaller additional bar between the earth bar and the neutral bar. Is there a functional earth bar option for Wylex CUs?

The RCBO's functional earth goes to the earth busbar.

Do you really think that you should be doing this work?

Sponsored Links
Do you really think that you should be doing this work?
Cheers TTC. Most definitely, judging by the standard of work I am having to fix :( :
  • cables running unsupported along joists resting on the ceiling
    cables wandering nearly 1' outside of safe zones in Paramount partitions
    ordinary cables running unsupported in cavities over 2m vertically
    no grommets anywhere
    no earthing of metal boxes (with all sliding fixings)
    no sleeves on switched live conductors
    joists drilled outside of 25%-40% of span

Wylex technical support say to pair each functional earth with the cable earth(s) - tacky :(.

Its logical, not tacky.
If you have an all RCBO board then that's the only way to do it. You can then identify which functional earth is which.

What's your plan, stuff them all into the earth terminal marked "B"??

Its logical, not tacky.
If you have an all RCBO board then that's the only way to do it. You can then identify which functional earth is which.

What's your plan, stuff them all into the earth terminal marked "B"??
My plan is to follow manufacturer's advice and satisfy LABC for Part P inspection tomorrow.

I would have preferred an extended functional earth bus bar section, but I know nothing.

I've had the initial inspection and so far so good. I have to replace the original 16mm² meter tails with 25mm², the 6mm² bonding to the CU with 16mm² and the 6mm² bonding to the gas supply with 10mm² - fair enough. I've been told to connect my 16mm² bonding to a 6mm² stub from the sealed supply. I'll contact the electricity supplier to see if they want to replace their 16mm² cables to the meter and directly connect my 16mm² bonding. The inspector commented that it was strange they fitted 25mm² power cables between the meter and the isolator last week but left 16mm² between the supply and the meter.

I doubt the CU earth bus bar can take 16mm², I think 10mm² is likely to be the limit, but I'll give it a go. Otherwise, I'll split it to go either side of the gas supply bonding.

To avoid bonding, I've been persuaded to replace ALL copper water pipe with plastic. I'd previously thought I could leave copper pipe in a service void without bonding and only replace accessible pipes. The plus side is there'll be no pipe connectors hidden in the void. :) There are no cables in the service void. It seems odd that I have to bond isolated metal water pipe in an inaccessible void away from any cables and yet not bond a metal sink above a washing machine socket. :confused:

The earth busbar on a modern CU will take 16mm.
There may be one hole (marked with an earth symbol) that is larger than the others.

If not, you can split the conductors and put them into two hols. Don't just snip off a strand or two so it fits!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back