Replacement Cylinder Thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Need to replace a cylinder thermostat but a little confused with the wires!

The one coming off is a Satchwell, (Very old) and the wiring to it 1,2,3, and an earth cable to the metal casing. The replacment I have bought is a Honeywell and any has connections for three wires, named 1,2, and C

I am assuming that wires 1 and 2 from the original should go in 1 and 2 on the new one, and 3 is the C (common) on the new one? What about the Earth though :rolleyes: Or do these new type not require an earth?

If not should I simply isolate the Earth on the old cable?

Thanks in advance for your replys

Sponsored Links
under NO circumstances fit it without an earth - there is an earth clamp on the heater head.

If you are not sure then get somebody competent in - electricity and water do not mix!

Not sure if we are both talking about the same thing. Its not the Immersion stat, I am talking about the stat 1/3rd up from bottom of cylinder controlling the boiler.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Seco, so would it be right to assume that 1 and 2 would be the same with the 2 on the old stat being c on the new one?

What about the Earth wire from the existing cable?

Seco, thanks for your replies and please bear with me, I have a headache :eek:

The existing 'electric' cable is 4 core, one going to earth on the metal casing of the thermostat.

The other three go to numbered terminals on the stat 1, 2 & 3

The new stat has no Earth terminal, Can I just isolate this core on the cable? Other than that there are three terminals 1, 2 & C

Do the numbers 1 & 2 correpond to 1 & 2 on the Honeywell?

If so '3' on the old stat must go to 'c' on the new stat.

Hope this makes semse?

easyest way forget the earth.
put h/w only on constant find the wire that becomes live and dead with h/w off

easyest way forget the earth.
put h/w only on constant find the wire that becomes live and dead with h/w off

Earth, fine will just isolate.

Are you saying put the HW on constant then swith on and off to see which wire becomes live and dead?

Once i know this which wire do i put where on the new stat? and what the 'c' about?

c is common
when you have got the live from the programmer, live when calling for heat place tha in the c
the wire that gos to the grey on the mid position valve put in 2
the wire that gos to the orange on mid position valve put in 1

Point of information:

Does a modern Cylinder Stat need T&E or 3-core and earth to the programmer? Or more?

most modern cyl stats dont need earth as they are double insulated. Yplan needs 3core (common, call, satisfied). Splan only 2 (no satisfied reqd)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back