Replacement dg units, k or not?

jcp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The sealed units in my 20-year old wooden window frames have clouded and need replacing.
I did the worst (all those on my south facing wall) maybe 5 years ago using non k-glass units. Should I now use k-glass units on the others?

Relevant factors may be
1. K-glass units cost almost 30% more.
2. In only one room are there units that have been and others that need to be replaced (on different walls), so coatings are unlikely to be visually noticeable.
3. The frames take 4-6-4 units. I vaguely remember once see a table on the benefits of k-glass with different gap widths, but can't find anything now.

Has anyone any advice?

John

Sponsored Links
Not Worth it unless the whole house was K, don't waste your money

1/ Correct
2/ K has a horrible tint to it, could you live with it? Its worth noting that 'K' is a Pilkington product, if you don't want a tint then Saint Gobain do a clear version called 'Planitherm'.
3/ Any benifit from having K will be negated by only having a 6mm air space, definately save your money and just use clear float

• Thanks
Reactions: jcp
Sponsored Links
I don't think the 30% premium translates into 30% energy saving over the 10 (?) year life of the units

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back