Replacement Double Glazing Units

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a number of double glazing panels which have "blown" and need replacing.

I understand K or Low-E glass has a slight tint to it and it will be obvious if I replace K panels with plain glass, or vice versa?

If this is right, how do I identify what my current panels are? I don't know the age of the existing units but I believe they were installed in the early-mid 1990s if this is likely to give an indication

Sponsored Links
If they were that early my guess is they would be pilkington K or Saint Gobain Eco-Logic both classed as 'hard coat' and this gives them the horrible tint. Try sticking some white A4 paper to the inside and go out and take a look to see it change colour, you get the same effect if you have net curtains up, from outside they look like you smoke 60 a day

I'm guessing if the paper looks the same from inside and outside that they're plain glass?

If it looks like I smoke from the outside, do I want K / low-E to match up?

Just to clarify, low e just means the glass has a coating, doesn't tell you which coating you have, hard coat=pilkington K or eco logic, these 2 have a tint , soft coat=pilkington K-S or saint gobain planitherm are invisible, the latter 2 quite recent so you probably have K or eco logic

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back