Replacement Driveway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the process of getting quotes to have an existing concrete driveway (approx 140 sq/M) dug up & replaced with a new sub base surfaced with tarmac. I'm getting conflicting advice (& prices) as to weather or not I need an Aco drain into a soak away across the bottom. Now I know regulations on drainage onto the highway changed some years ago but can anyone give me a definitive answer as to weather or not they apply to replacing an existing drive way?

Sponsored Links
Would be classed as a new driveway technically, so the normal PD rules would apply. Needs to be porous as per the GPDO to not require planning permission.

Class F -

"either the hard surface is made of porous materials, or provision is made to direct run-off water from the hard surface to a permeable or porous area or surface within the curtilage of the dwellinghouse."

OK thanks, that's how I understood it. All six local firms I've had quote, of which two are also major contractors in highways reconstruction, have priced the drain separately but advised to save my money & not bother unless the Council pick up on it when it can always be retro-fitted. As the additional cost is several hundred ££, that's the way I think I'l play it!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back