Replacement for felt without removing tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The felt on my house roof is perishing in several places and needs replacing. Is there a way of insulating my loft, replacing the felt, without removing all the tiles as this will cost £5500!

Thanks

John

Sponsored Links
You don't need any felt if the tiles are OK. If you are getting leaks through the tiles then they probably need replacing anyway.

Or is it the dust your are trying to prevent?

Insulating where? At rafter level or floor level?

Make sense boy!!!! :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Thanks for replies so far.

It's a sloping tiled roof and I wish to replace the felt thus insulating it at tile level.

The roof is dry so no water coming in... Yet. Have heard about a spray foam system but heard bad things about it also!

Unless you want to have a loft conversion, just insulate the ceiling joints and not the rafters. Go for 300mm depth.

If water comes through the tiles then have the tiles fixed.

DO NOT USE SPRAY FOAM!!!

Andy

felt is not for insulation.

Why do you think you want to insulate the unoccupied space above the ceilings of the house?

Unless you want to have a loft conversion, just insulate the ceiling joints and not the rafters. Go for 300mm depth.

If water comes through the tiles then have the tiles fixed.

DO NOT USE SPRAY FOAM!!!

Andy

Agreed. Foam just covers up the problem & causes problems in the long term.

Thanks for all your responses. I guess I used incorrect terminology. I just wanted to protect the loft as opposed to insulating it with the felt or other means. My mind is assured now. I will leave the felt as is and when the tiles need replacing I will sort the felt then.

Thanks all once again.

Oh, and I won't be using the foam :)

John

Thanks for all your responses. I guess I used incorrect terminology. I just wanted to protect the loft as opposed to insulating it with the felt or other means. My mind is assured now. I will leave the felt as is and when the tiles need replacing I will sort the felt then.

Thanks all once again.

Oh, and I won't be using the foam :)

John

Must be one hell of a big roof to justify £5500 .

That's southern prices for you .

Consider a lancashire roofer-

Not exactly rocket science to re-felt a roof.

what tiles are they ? Big concrete tiles- or smaller Rosemary tiles (smaller ones) ?.how old is the house ?.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back