Replacement Gas Fire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A family friend – a woman of almost 90 – has asked me for advice regarding replacement of an old gas fire – pic attached.

This gas fire has been in place for many, many years – within the last year or so, the piezo ignition failed, and a local handyman dealt with this by cutting a rectangular hole in the front plate of the appliance, which enabled the owner to light the burner using a long match. This has now become difficult for her, and a replacement gas fire has been suggested.

A quick internet search has failed to find anything like a direct replacement – anyone know if things like this are still available?

Also, would I be right in thinking that replacement would need to be carried out by someone who is Gas-Safe registered? Apart from the connection to the fire tube, there is the matter of the waste gases – I don’t suppose that the chimney has been swept for many years, and I imagine that a flue-liner would be needed. Any idea of the cost of this? It’s a semi-detached house built around 1900; the gas fire is located on the ground floor.
GALLERY]

Sponsored Links
Thats an old Cannon Misermatic circa 1960's.Yes you can get what are known as outset fires and Flavel and Valor still make them.The flue usually does not require a liner.With any new install the flue will be checked before fitting and again afterwards.Get a local RGI in to advise and quote.

Good advice above.

I would suggest that a local FIREPLACE SHOWROOM is contacted, rather than a random fitter, whjo may not have specific knowledge. An important thing to note is that the majority of "outset" fires have low level gas controls, which is a little bizzare when you consider the target market!

If she is fit and able I would advise she visits a showroom, and actually touch and feel the knobs (oo missis). There is a certain amount of manipulation required, on new fires compared to old ones, and some OAPS find them difficult.

Also ask who will attend the fire if it breaks down. If the shop says the manufacturer will attend, then look elsewhere, as manufacturers take too long, especially in the winter. They consider the fire to be secondary source of heat. If anyone doubts this, thgne try phoning, say, BFM or Valor and ask.

excellant advice as always from others, i would suggest a Robinson Willey Firegem Delux, which has a high level control knob, and you can also buy an extended larger handle for those with less grip, not a pretty fire, (not many are) but 100% robust and reliable.

Sponsored Links
A family friend – a woman of almost 90 – has asked me for advice regarding replacement of an old gas fire – pic attached.

This gas fire has been in place for many, many years – within the last year or so, the piezo ignition failed, and a local handyman dealt with this by cutting a rectangular hole in the front plate of the appliance, which enabled the owner to light the burner using a long match. This has now become difficult for her, and a replacement gas fire has been suggested.

A quick internet search has failed to find anything like a direct replacement – anyone know if things like this are still available?

Also, would I be right in thinking that replacement would need to be carried out by someone who is Gas-Safe registered? Apart from the connection to the fire tube, there is the matter of the waste gases – I don’t suppose that the chimney has been swept for many years, and I imagine that a flue-liner would be needed. Any idea of the cost of this? It’s a semi-detached house built around 1900; the gas fire is located on the ground floor.
GALLERY]

My advice would be to avoid fire showrooms, as you pay a premium for their shiny showrooms as you do with bathroom installs.

Call a local RGI, ensure you check his gas safe card on the back and look for FIRE check also the date to the right, this will tell you if the card has expired.

The fire in question is referred to as a Radiant/Convector type! a good installer will when attending to quote, remove the fire and check the builders opening, recommend the chimney to be swept and also look outside at the termination point as a minimum.

I would also recommend a CO detector to be fitted as standard if you do not already have one.

An OFTEC, GAS SAFE, NICEIC and MSC Installer!

The Flavel Firenza is very similar to the old cannon you have. It also has a top control although I believe it is a slight bit wider.

Its a canon K16 series
Trouble with modern fires is (if not battery ignition) they have a double click ignitor built into the tap and some one of that age will have difficulty holding down knob and twisting wrist quick enough for both sparks to catch gas.

Battery ignition usually involves holding down a reasonably stiff slider lever for approx 20 seconds which a pensioner of this age will find hard.

If still compos mentis then remote control fire might be the answer

Trouble with modern fires is (if not battery ignition) they have a double click ignitor built into the tap and some one of that age will have difficulty holding down knob and twisting wrist quick enough for both sparks to catch gas.

Pretty much what I said!

Battery ignition usually involves holding down a reasonably stiff slider lever for approx 20 seconds which a pensioner of this age will find hard.

5 secs., but still part of my previous point

[If still compos mentis then remote control fire might be the answer

Maybe, but sequential remote control can be a pain in the arse, and you have to have goood hearing to hear the beep! Basic Rc, where you leave on a pilot is more reliable

Anyway, the OP asked for a similiar fire to the original and sliders and Rc's tend to go with insets.

Rob. Willey (now taken over by dimplex) offer rotary control outset fires with repetetive spark ignition. They seem convenient and feel reliable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back