Replacement Handles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our old bathroom window no longer seals shut because one handle is broken and the other completely missing. I can just about close it using the sheared off handle but there is a gap. sometimes there is a click and it seals (if I slam it but then grains of mortar fall down making dust) , but most times it misses and leaves a gap. Not good for winter and hearing noise.

They seem to be very cheap metal and most in the house have broken, as well as condensation in the glass. Can I replace this with anything or would a new window be better ?

Sponsored Links
To be honest with handles breaking and units misting up it might be worth getting some quote for new windows where needed.
They are repairable/replaceable but those windows are quite old so other things may start going wrong soon, More misted units, Hinges (sounds like some of them are on the way out), gaskets etc.

Totally up to you and your budget but I would at least get some prices and have a think about it.
Handles are £5-10 each
Hinges are £10-20 per pair
Glass units are £20-70 depending on size, Specification etc. Those prices are assuming you can get them straight from a glass factory.

Pop rivets can be a bit of a pain especially if the hinges are riveted too, And your windows are externally glazed so you will be changing the glass while up ladders.

Let us know what you decide and we can talk you though it but I would say especially any windows where everything is going wrong its probably worth replacing for a better modern one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back