Windows new Handle required + Draft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
With some of the harsh winter when it is windy, my windows do let a cold draft come through as they do not close hermetically.

I am looking to get potentially someone to replace these as I think this might be too much of a job for me.

As per picture, there are only one handle per windows instead of the 2.

I will replace both handle, which I am hoping which help to close the windows more hermetically. And avoid any draft of cold air when very windy outside.

Do you think that will sort it out?

Do I need to add something else between the windows and the frames of the windows so when the windows close, it helps to keep it more hermetic? What do you think and how easy to get it done? And what would I need?

Done something similar for the front door, but the storm guard product will be too thick I think, unless, I only put one layer.

Couple of practical question about windows, if changing the handle myself, is that an easy job? Or is there a risk of me breaking the glass when removing the old one and putting the new one? Seems the old handle are fix to the frame with something like a rivet maybe?

Or should I get a trade man to do it for me – I guess if the glass gets broken, then it would be his responsibility to replace it at his cost / insurance?

Do anyone know how far the glass go within the metallic case of the window? Just concern that if you drill in that frame to remove the old handle – if the glass go under that that side case, then the glass could just blow up!
2016-02-24 17.05.47.jpg
2016-02-24 17.05.59.jpg
2016-02-24 17.06.08.jpg
2016-02-24 17.06.13.jpg
2016-02-24 17.06.16.jpg
2016-02-24 17.05.47.jpg
2016-02-24 17.05.59.jpg
2016-02-24 17.06.08.jpg
2016-02-24 17.06.13.jpg
2016-02-24 17.06.16.jpg

Sponsored Links
Pop riveted damb! If they were screwed you would have a nice easy job on your hands.
The glass is basically right behind the handles. You have 2 options, Either a drill with a depth setting or take the glass out first (this is the safest option).
You need to drill the center of the rivets out with a 4.8mm drill bit and rivet the new handles back into the old holes with 5.5mm rivets.

Buy the handles first obviously. Google Cockspur handles and wedges. Get key lockable handles for extra security and for insurance reasons.
Only thing you need to check is the stack height (the distance from the window sash to the outer edge on the plastic wedge).

Thanks so much Gazman for your reply. So I guess my best bet is to get glassman to sort that out I think.
if the glass man does not take the glass out and the glass break, will he be liable to replace the glass?

Cheers,

I would take the wedge gasket out along the bottom and slide a wallpaper scraper down to protect the glass while drilling the rivets out

Sponsored Links
I would take the wedge gasket out along the bottom and slide a wallpaper scraper down to protect the glass while drilling the rivets out

Doh! I never thought of that. Mind I have a drill with a depth setting so I have never broke one yet (touch wood).

Thanks so much Gazman for your reply. So I guess my best bet is to get glassman to sort that out I think.
if the glass man does not take the glass out and the glass break, will he be liable to replace the glass?

Cheers,

In theory yes assuming its not a cowboy and he has public liability insurance.
I would ask them to put it in writing just to be sure.
Its probably worth asking some local double glazing company's for prices too as they are local and wont have to travel as far it might be cheaper.

Thanks so much for your advice.
Will get some local double graze company as well as glazer to gather quote.
Many thanks

Just another question that came to my mind:

Will the new handles allow to have the windows not fully closed? but still securely closed as per with brand new windows?

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back