Replacement Meter Box

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone,
A friend of mine want to replace both the Electric meter box / cover and the Gas, I don't think either of them have a back, I guess anyone can replace these as its purely a cover, you don't need to do any pipe work or electrical work, OK I will need to cut a hole for the Gas pipe , but that's straight forward.
I've had a quick search on the internet and each box seems to be about £50, surely there's something cheaper about, they're just moulded plastic covers aren't they? Any one know where they are cheaper?

Thanks,

Steve

Sponsored Links
I believe they are the property of the gas/electricity suppliers and as such you are not allowed to interfere with them.

Could be the ones on the internet are stolen!

I believe they are the property of the gas/electricity suppliers and as such you are not allowed to interfere with them.

No they are not supplied by the service provider and they are not their property.

Bull**** you can buy replacements on the internet ….
DCA7682B-8D47-485D-8259-95462D088860.png

Sponsored Links

I think you're about 40 years out of date.
You shouldn't really guess at things like this as it could cause people trouble.
It is the householder's responsibility.
Also accusing people of criminal acts is libel.

Being able to buy something on the internet does not make it legit. e.g. you can buy sky Q boxes on the internet. All sky Q boxes are the property of sky and are never sold.
WRONG YET AGAIN

Actually I need to clarify that point, you are correct they don't sell them, they give them away.
THEY DON’T. Sky Q boxes are not sold or given away. They are loaned or rented and have to be returned if a subscription is ended.
Please get your facts right before shouting at people. An apology would be appreciated. I repeat sky Q boxes remain the property of sky and have to be returned if a subscription is ended. (Unlike the older sky HD boxes which were given away).

I think you're about 40 years out of date.
You shouldn't really guess at things like this as it could cause people trouble.
It is the householder's responsibility.
Also accusing people of criminal acts is libel.

OK I stand corrected.

THEY DON’T. Sky Q boxes are not sold or given away. They are loaned or rented and have to be returned if a subscription is ended.
Please get your facts right before shouting at people. An apology would be appreciated. I repeat sky Q boxes remain the property of sky and have to be returned if a subscription is ended. (Unlike the older sky HD boxes which were given away).
And what do you think happens to them after that?

I need to make no apology because I know what happens if you ask sky nicely, otherwise they go to electronic recycling to places like Sweeep.

They had to alter their contracts as the original boxes were under contract and 'always remained their property' however when they went wrong they tried to charge the customer for repair/replacement, too many people read the contract and demanded the repair FOC under the implied terms. After a number of such 'demands' and word got out they changed the contract wording and as a result removed the demand for return. That said they didn't normally demand the return when it was in the contract in the early days.
I have no experience with the Q box contract so cannot add anything from a customers point of view.

I bought a new build in 1979, and the boxes for gas and electric meters were supplied by the builder, as was the board on the garage wall with the fuse box on. At what date the electric supply company stopped providing them, or is they are basic given to supply company I don't know.

However the price of the box is insignificant when compared with the price to move supply point.

Also in spite of having an exterior box, the supplier wanted us to read the meter, 100 miles return trip to our old house, lucky we found some one to do it for us. And the door was broken due to meter reader not shutting it, but we had to do the repairs.

As to sky, we took the gear with us when we moved, but sky was not interested with the old equipment they supplied all new, technically it belongs to them, but they simply did not want it.

And what do you think happens to them after that?

I need to make no apology because I know what happens if you ask sky nicely, otherwise they go to electronic recycling to places like Sweeep.

They had to alter their contracts as the original boxes were under contract and 'always remained their property' however when they went wrong they tried to charge the customer for repair/replacement, too many people read the contract and demanded the repair FOC under the implied terms. After a number of such 'demands' and word got out they changed the contract wording and as a result removed the demand for return. That said they didn't normally demand the return when it was in the contract in the early days.
The old boxes were always gifted to the customer which meant the customer was responsible for the repairs though most did not understand as it appears you don’t.

I have no experience with the Q box contract so cannot add anything from a customers point of view.
Well in that case why are you arguing and getting the facts wrong?

Once again the Q boxes remain the property of sky and have be returned at the end of contract. Any being sold online are stolen. You still owe me an apology.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back