Replacement Meter Box

Status
Not open for further replies.
As to sky, we took the gear with us when we moved, but sky was not interested with the old equipment they supplied all new, technically it belongs to them, but they simply did not want it.
I take it you are talking about the old boxes. All the equipment was given to the customer so technically it does not belong to sky.
Things changed with sky Q. Q boxes are never gifted to the customer (though the dishes still are) and have to be returned at contract end.

Sponsored Links
I have informed mods I'll not post more here but I'll break that to say at nearly 2 years in my box failed (the white very curved front version) and having read the relevant part of the contract I convinced them they had an obligation to return my service to working by quoting their contract at them and the relevant consumer goods law.
I've not had a Qbox or such contract however I contacted and asked for some on behalf of friends to liberate a component. The only questions: how many and which location I wanted to pick them up from.

With that I'll post no more in this thread.

Hi Everyone,
A friend of mine want to replace both the Electric meter box / cover and the Gas, I don't think either of them have a back, I guess anyone can replace these as its purely a cover, you don't need to do any pipe work or electrical work, OK I will need to cut a hole for the Gas pipe , but that's straight forward.
I've had a quick search on the internet and each box seems to be about £50, surely there's something cheaper about, they're just moulded plastic covers aren't they? Any one know where they are cheaper?
Thanks,
Steve
To try to get back to the original question.
Why does he want to replace them? A cheaper soloution might be to paint them if it is because they are looking dirty and worn.

The reason that they want to replace them is that the door is hanging off, I guess I could look at getting some hinges but I guess plastic hinges etc might be the way to go, no idea if such a thing exists? They are very taty, so replacing them might be an easier option, also would like brown rather than the existing white

Sponsored Links
I take it you are talking about the old boxes. All the equipment was given to the customer so technically it does not belong to sky.
Things changed with sky Q. Q boxes are never gifted to the customer (though the dishes still are) and have to be returned at contract end.
And just to follow up on this...
Yesterday my brother in law's NON Q sky box failed, he estimates it's about 5-7 years old, he made the phonecall 3pm.
Today, just within 24 hours the 'sky' edit: supplied engineer person left having replaced the box.
Totally free of charge just like it says in their contract if you can be bothered to read.

Last edited:
And just to follow up on this...
Yesterday my brother in law's NON Q sky box failed, he estimates it's about 5-7 years old, he made the phone 3pm.
Today, just within 24 hours the 'sky' engineer left having replaced the box.
Totally free of charge just like it says in their contract if you can be bothered to read.
I don't have a sky contract to read. But I do know non Q boxes are gifted to the customer and once outside the warranty it is up to the customer to replace/repair if they fail. I also know sky are constantly badgered by people who think otherwise and sometimes give in. I presume this is why Q boxes are now sky property and rented. I assume the increased cost of Q reflects this.

Another thing sky engineers do not go around replacing boxes, that is an installers job. Sky engineers work at Osterley.

I don't have a sky contract to read. But I do know non Q boxes are gifted to the customer and once outside the warranty it is up to the customer to replace/repair if they fail. I also know sky are constantly badgered by people who think otherwise and sometimes give in. I presume this is why Q boxes are now sky property and rented. I assume the increased cost of Q reflects this.
As I have mentioned before; the sky box has always remained the property of Sky, it's in the contract.

Another thing sky engineers do not go around replacing boxes, that is an installers job. Sky engineers work at Osterley.
As to the engineer, hopefully you will accept my editted post.

I used the term engineer in the the way Mr Public does for Sky, telephone, garages etc etc.

Last edited:
To the best of my knowledge if you get the right utilities box you may be able to just swap the door over.
As regards sky boxes my understanding is the Q boxes belong to sky and need to be returned, non Q boxes are the customers property and sky don't give a sh1t what people do with them. (y)

Pointless squabbling now locked
As I have mentioned before; the sky box has always remained the property of Sky, it's in the contract.

I believe you are wrong. Plenty of examples on Digital Spy and AV forums to back me up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back