Replacement o-rings for Belmont radiator valves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi looking for some advice, the spindle on one of my Belmont radiator valves has started leaking. I tried tightening up the packing nut but to no avail. Is it the green o-rings I need? Tried my local plumbers mechant but they didn't have any.

I heard these valves were not easy to replace with modern valves as the pipework needs adjusting, is that correct?

belmont.jpg

Sponsored Links
Hi looking for some advice, the spindle on one of my Belmont radiator valves has started leaking. I tried tightening up the packing nut but to no avail. Is it the green o-rings I need? Tried my local plumbers mechant but they didn't have any.

I heard these valves were not easy to replace with modern valves as the pipework needs adjusting, is that correct?

View attachment 253569
Maybe a bit late in replying, but if the shaft of a Belmont valve has a groove in it (like yours) it is the older type and does use green O rings, no groove in shaft is red O ring. I always had a spare of each shaft with new O rings on, made the job so much easier .

Sponsored Links
Fabulous old valves, they don't make them like they used to. The only difficult part may be the pipe to valve transition, easy enough to change for someone with experience and the right equipment.

You can still get the green O rings but are they worth it?

https://www.plumbers-mate-sales.co....ve-green-o-rings---pair---07002110-4838-p.asp
But how much is a good quality new valve, and what aggro will there be changing it ? The O rings are expensive, but once done the valve will last many more years, don't think you could say that about some of the new valves.

The O rings are expensive, but once done the valve will last many more years, don't think you could say that about some of the new valves.
Certainly wouldn't argue with that hence my comment
Fabulous old valves, they don't make them like they used to
but that's reliant on that it's just the o-rings that are wrong with it

You can pick up a new Pegler B wheelhead for about £25 though would need to see if the pipe end fitting was the same as the old one.

I bought some of these BS012 do you think they will fit? If it still leaks after replacing the o-rings I'll probably get the valve replaced.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/132233132329?var=431562891120
I have just measured a green o ring, 8.76mm ID, 2.06mm thick.
These may be better - 8.8 x 1.9 seems nearest to the one I measured, though my measurement may be off slightly. Only way to be sure is genuine ones, it would still be cheaper than a new valve.
METRIC Size O-Rings. When just 1 ORing needed. NITRILE, Buna, NBR, O Ring (RA) | eBay

Last edited:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
I think the thread is different so replacing the valve will require olive removal

Do a search for O rings. Just change the o ring, much simpler

These valves will last forever.
I often use the red o rings for all.
Price is a Pi$$take. I got dozens from a rep customer for free.
SAE and a donation I will send.

I've used BS012 rings...2 per spindle. Is there a difference in size between the red and green?
The OPs valve has a female compression on the pipe, if the olive has crimped too much the pipe will need cutting off and renewing if another valve is used.
Belmonts are designed so that you can replace the rings whilst the system is full of water.
Drop the system pressure if it's sealed.
Open the valve fully.
Remove the valve cap and large thin top nut.
Now carefully unscrew the spindle going clockwise whilst gently pulling upwards.
The spindle will come out enabling the rings to be swapped.
Reverse to refit..
Don't blame me if you get wet.

Done! Easier than I thought. Someone had put one red and one green o-ring on for good measure, plus a bunch of PTFE tape. Valve was leaking slightly while I had the spindle out. A blanking plug with the same thread as the packing nut would have been nice, especially if things went wrong. I suppose if I got hold of an old valve I could make one by sealing up the hole.

Thanks for the advice.

I love it that you're not chucked something old away just because.

Reduce reuse recycle.

I'm waiting for the econuts to discover the circular economy and hold manyfacturers to account...the boiler industry is appalling actively campaigning against refurbishment.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back