Replacement of Cabinet Hinges

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the process of replacing the door hinges on my (over 10 years old) Magnet kitchen cupboards. The hinges are mounted in two ways:-
1) simple with small chipboard screws securing the 35mm boss
2) nasty - pressed in with no screws to remove.

Before I do something bad - can anyone provide any practical advice as to how to remove the second type and the likely risk of damage to the door.

Thanks very much

Sponsored Links
Thanks very much for the suggestion. Unfortunately, they are not this type. Have posted an image. Any further help much appreciated. Thanks.

Looks like your going to have to bite the bullet and prise these out of the holes. They will surely have some kind of plastic catches either side to dig into the carcass material for support. If the doors are chipboard, there will most likely be some damage sustained. You have to remember they were designed to last, and after 10 years they have done their job!

Sponsored Links
It is very unlikely that you will get them out without destroying the door as they have two barbed lugs that push in to holes either side of the main hinge hole and they are not designed to come out

If I had to get them out I would use a hacksaw blade and cut the lugs off leaving them in the door

3mm hss bit and drill out the lugs either side, they should be directly under those two dimples then it should prise out.

Thanks very much for the replies. I will be giving it a go later this week and will post an update as to how I get on. Hopefully it will also help someone else in the future.

Thanks again for the help. The drilling out method worked fine. 3mm to establish and centre the hole. Follow with 10mm on a very low torque and light touch. When it snatches towards the end finish turning by hand and cleanup with a Stanley knife. Once the lugs are detached the boss is easy to prise out. Fine for DIY when you can take the necessary time and care. Photos of results attached.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back