Replacement of flashing tape with a longer lasting material

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a conservatory which has "flashing tape" along the top which I have had to replace several times over the years.
I now need to replace it again but want to go for a more permanent solution. I guess I could potentially use lead to do this with some form of sealant underneath.
Does anyone know of another material to use or if I go with lead what type of sealant should I use?

Sponsored Links
If your flashing tape as the very thin silver stuff, I would try flash banding it has lasted for over twenty years on my last house. How hot does your tape get?
Frank

Frank, the conservatory catches the sun and is in fact much too hot inside in the summer so I would say that the band gets pretty hot (I called it flashing tape above but should have called it flashing band). I guess I get about 6 years out of it before it needs replacing which is not long enough for my liking.

Sponsored Links
I had a similar problem with my workshop, finally i cut a slot in the brick mortar with a cutting disc and set lead in with some lead sealant mastic, no trouble for the last six years.
Remember to treat the lead with patination oil after installing.

Frank, the material I used was from Wickes I think and was very similar (if not the same) as that in the Screwfix link I will take a look to see if I can find the "bacofoil" type product.
Craig

Thanks Footprints - the problem I need to solve is with the flashing that covers the middle of the roof of the conservatory (consisting of plastic sheets) i.e. it is not with the part that abuts the brick wall.

Thanks Footprints - the problem I need to solve is with the flashing that covers the middle of the roof of the conservatory (consisting of plastic sheets) i.e. it is not with the part that abuts the brick wall.
I see I guess the standard lead sealants like this should work to secure a fold of lead across the top but I imagine there are purpose built extrusions in UPVC on the market , might be worth googling UPVC ridge section or any similar descriptions to see what pops up.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsen...ml/21594#product_additional_details_container

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back