Replacement pump - Grundfos UPS 3 v Alpha 1

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

The Grundfos Selectric 15 - 50 in our 3 bed semi is still going okay after 17 years but it has taken me a few years to realise it sounds like a Panzer division passing by.

Although I am holding out on the central heating being turned on until Oct, thought I should probably take a punt on a replacement.

Grundfos have just released their latest batch on pumps - the UPS3 15-50/65 and Alpha 15-50/60 seem to be the main options (https://uk.grundfos.com/campaigns/new-team.html).

It looks like the Alpha is marginally more efficient, offset by being about £40 dearer. From my limited understanding, the UPS is the normal like for like replacement (the latest one seems to have some efficiency improvements) but I'm struggling to work out whether the benefits of the Alpha are worth it.

I did ring Grundfos for advice but got nowhere, not helped by these pumps just being released.

Does anyone have any experience or insights on these pumps nd can perhaps point me in the right direction? The next problem will probably be seized valves, so it my be the head only version of the UPS3 in any event!

Many thanks,

Damian

Sponsored Links
Hi,

The Grundfos Selectric 15 - 50 in our 3 bed semi is still going okay after 17 years but it has taken me a few years to realise it sounds like a Panzer division passing by.

Although I am holding out on the central heating being turned on until Oct, thought I should probably take a punt on a replacement.

Grundfos have just released their latest batch on pumps - the UPS3 15-50/65 and Alpha 15-50/60 seem to be the main options (https://uk.grundfos.com/campaigns/new-team.html).

It looks like the Alpha is marginally more efficient, offset by being about £40 dearer. From my limited understanding, the UPS is the normal like for like replacement (the latest one seems to have some efficiency improvements) but I'm struggling to work out whether the benefits of the Alpha are worth it.

I did ring Grundfos for advice but got nowhere, not helped by these pumps just being released.

Does anyone have any experience or insights on these pumps nd can perhaps point me in the right direction? The next problem will probably be seized valves, so it my be the head only version of the UPS3 in any event!

Many thanks,

Damian
Earlier this year I replaced my Selectric 15 - 50 with a UPS2. I was hoping to replace just the motor/impeller, to save disturbing the pipework, but the price was the same as for the complete pump, so naturally I went for that. Just as well, because the casing was knackered, a stainless steel ring pressed in at the eye of the impeller had come adrift.
I got it from Anchor Pumps, Warrington, £95, Screwfix wanted £135. There was an option to pay £5 for next day delivery, which I declined, but it came before 9 a.m. next day.
I don't know offhand whether the UPS2 is still available, or anything about the UPS3

A UPS2 is your best pump, no electronics to fail. Standard no-nonsense last the lifetime of a clean system.

Sponsored Links
Yeah you can get away with that at the moment, but the standard efficiency pumps are going to be withdrawn as boiler spares soon... time to move into the modern age of electronic wizardry!

Many thanks,

Damian
Best to plan to replace the whole thing, as impeller sizes can vary and the old pump housing could be fouled up with dirt. Drain the system and replace the valves as well if necessary

All,

Thanks for the input.

I had another try with Grundfos to explain the difference in real terms between their latest UPS/Alpha pumps but I got no where.

My conclusion is that UPS is a universal fit (obviously) and with its efficiency gains is now getting very close to the base Alpha models. These models are still more efficient but the payback period in a domestic situation is too long to worry about.

I'll go for a UPS3, our Potterton Suprima is 17 years old as well, so a condensing combi will probably come along at some time in the near future and negate the need for this pump anyway.

I'll probably have a couple of questions on whether to do a drain and refill of the system as part of this job and then fill and add new inhibitor. Water is currently clean, so maybe just a top up in the header tank and a short drain would be enough?

Thanks,

Damian

What like those alpha 2 electronic head units that keep needing replacing at the cost of a whole pump?, I'll sacrifice the pound a year extra on my energy bill!

I'll go for a UPS3
Out of curiosity, where are you getting the UPS3 from? I tried various websites, including Grundfos's own, and couldn't find anything about it. If Grundfos are pushing it they're not trying very hard. There's nothing on the Anchor pumps site, but the Alpha3 15-50/60 is there at £202 + VAT! I'd definitely balk at that.
Water is currently clean, so maybe just a top up in the header tank and a short drain would be enough?
You could do the bright wire nail test to see whether the inhibitor is doing its job.

UPS3 pops up on the Screwfix website at 109.

Rang Anchor pumps and they said they buy in bulk and got the impression they would need to shift their UPS2 stock before they think about ordering the new model.

The UPS2 turned out to be a lemon..the theory going around the trade was that the significant inrush current (charging the capacitors) caused programmers and even boiler pcbs to fail (relay contacts couldn't take it). Eventually an additional cable was supplied that probably contained an NTC type device to limit the initial current surge. It's anyones guess if it really sorted the issue...

Take the head off and if the back casing's fine just shove a standard efficiency head back on...but I didn't really say that (the pump police will be after you).
Here's a nice red one...
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Worceste...521970?hash=item2cdb487d32:g:J-MAAOSwqDhbJlNh

The savings are neglagable due to the shortened life of high efficiency pumps....all that marketing rubbish you read in the pump manufacturers literature is fake news....it came from a German consumer study but fails to mention German households often run their pumps 24/7.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
The UPS2 turned out to be a lemon..the theory going around the trade was that the significant inrush current (charging the capacitors) caused programmers and even boiler pcbs to fail (relay contacts couldn't take it). Eventually an additional cable was supplied that probably contained an NTC type device to limit the initial current surge. It's anyones guess if it really sorted the issue...
That's worrying! My UPS2 seems to be OK (so far!), so does the boiler. Mine has the usual 3 wires. The pump and boiler both come on via one of the stats, so hard to see how the boiler pcb could be damaged, but I suppose there could be voltage spikes back from the pump. And oilski thinks it's OK.
A UPS2 is your best pump, no electronics to fail. Standard no-nonsense last the lifetime of a clean system.
When I replaced the UPS 15-50 there was a lot of clag inside and behind the impeller. I cleaned it up and pretty sure it's OK now. I keep it as a spare but if I thought the UPS2 posed a risk I'd change it anyway.

Last edited:
UPS3 pops up on the Screwfix website at 109.
I must be missing something, because I still can't find it. On Screwfix I can see UPS2 at £99.99 (they've dropped the price) and the Alpha 2L 15-60 at £109.99.
Editing - just opened the link in your original post. It doesn't quote a price. It looks over-complicated to me. Do we really need "on-board diagnostics with stalwart features such as ceramic bearings and shafts, a manual deblocking port and robust start-up functionality." Whatever stalwart means in this context o_O. As somebody else said, efficiency is a bit of a red herring in UK systems, the power goes into the water and room anyway.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back