Replacement water supply - advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, apologies if this is in the wrong place but here goes.

We're trying to replace our existing 15mm mains water supply pipe to get greater flow to allow us to have a megaflo etc. We've got a water meter in the pavement, just outside our property boundary (London suburb) and we've been told that there is a 32mm pipe running into that from the mains and there is no particular problem with running a new pipe from the meter to our house.

Issue is that the plumber needs to lift a pavement slab for half a day in order to access the meter box and is telling me I need to get some sort of "opening notice" from the council to allow him to do this. The council have told me to apply for a "temporary structure licence" but when I look at the form it seems to be complete overkill - all about scaffolding and excavation and so on and asking how many months I need the licence for!

Am I missing something or do I just need to go ahead and do this? Any advice gratefully received. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Hi, apologies if this is in the wrong place but here goes.

We're trying to replace our existing 15mm mains water supply pipe to get greater flow to allow us to have a megaflo etc. We've got a water meter in the pavement, just outside our property boundary (London suburb) and we've been told that there is a 32mm pipe running into that from the mains and there is no particular problem with running a new pipe from the meter to our house.

Issue is that the plumber needs to lift a pavement slab for half a day in order to access the meter box and is telling me I need to get some sort of "opening notice" from the council to allow him to do this. The council have told me to apply for a "temporary structure licence" but when I look at the form it seems to be complete overkill - all about scaffolding and excavation and so on and asking how many months I need the licence for!

Am I missing something or do I just need to go ahead and do this? Any advice gratefully received. Thanks.

Tell him not to be such a jobs worth and get on with the b***dy pipe or you'll get someone else to do it. It's only one paver.
The alternative is simply install a cold water accumulator tank. Job done.

32mm pipe to water meter means nothing. I assume you have been given flow rate estimates from your water supplier to make you comfortable that the excavation work will pay off.

Like DC I would point you in the direction of an accumulator as a worthwhile alternative.

I was royally lambasted when I first joined the forum 4 yrs or so ago and preached the merits of accumulators, but they are worth considering. Especially in London, where good water flow rate is a luxury rather than a given.

Thanks for the answers. I am hopeful the new supply pipe will be enough because my neighbours have had the same work done and report that their Megaflo works fine. I'd rather try this route first since space is tight and I'd like to avoid installing a big tank.

What do you think about the pavement slab though - is it really necessary to get a licence from the council?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the answers. I am hopeful the new supply pipe will be enough because my neighbours have had the same work done and report that their Megaflo works fine. I'd rather try this route first since space is tight and I'd like to avoid installing a big tank.

What do you think about the pavement slab though - is it really necessary to get a licence from the council?

Just tell him to get on with it.
Or get another plumber.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back