Upgrade new mains water supply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As part of our new extension I am thinking of getting our main water supply upgraded. The house was built in 1930s and had water meter installed at some point.

I did some search on this forum and while I found useful threads about the size of the pipe (32mm, 50mm pipe), I am not clear on the work required.

Would the new supply be installed from mains (front pavement) to the kitchen or would it be from the water meter (outside house) to the kitchen? Secondly can I use the local plumber to the complete job or I need to contact the local water supply company, considering there is water meter installed?

Thanks in advance guys
cheers

Sponsored Links
Whether it's installed from the mains or from the meter depends entirely on how much money you want to spend. It would be cheapest to get it installed just from the meter, but may be more effective to have to upgraded from the pavement.

Anything on your property belongs to you, anything off it belongs to the water undertaker. Thus, all the work on your property can be done by you / your plumber, but anything off your property must be done by the undertaker / their chosen contractors

Whether it's installed from the mains or from the meter depends entirely on how much money you want to spend. It would be cheapest to get it installed just from the meter, but may be more effective to have to upgraded from the pavement.

If i were to choose this option and lets say i would go for 50mm pipe from meter to the kitchen then how effective that would be to increase the water pressure?

Anything on your property belongs to you, anything off it belongs to the water undertaker. Thus, all the work on your property can be done by you / your plumber, but anything off your property must be done by the undertaker / their chosen contractors

I guess above implies that i need the local water company to do the upgarde from the pavement to the meter, approx 10 meter (expensive option). What if my local builder decided that he can do that job too?

Sponsored Links
unsure if i asked the question correctly, would the local plumber be able to do the whole job?

If i were to choose this option and lets say i would go for 50mm pipe from meter to the kitchen then how effective that would be to increase the water pressure?

It make no different to water pressure, whatever 25, 32 or 50mm, it only increase water flow rate. Size of water pipe is depend on water company and you may have to pay ££££ to get 50mm to connect to water main.

Iguess above implies that i need the local water company to do the upgarde from the pavement to the meter, approx 10 meter (expensive option). What if my local builder decided that he can do that job too?

No, your builder / plumber can't do it. It has to be the contractor working for the water company who own such water mains. Your is from meter to house, that's it.

Daniel.

Strictly, any mains water pipes anywhere should be installed by a plumber with the Water Regs training and registered with the local water supplier.

Or alternatively any plumber can do it but in that case it should be made available for inspection by the water supplier. They can charge for the inspection but rarely seem to !

Tony

Or alternatively any plumber can do it but in that case it should be made available for inspection by the water supplier. They can charge for the inspection but rarely seem to !
Tony

Right plumber did what he needed to do and found that when the water company install the meter they kindly ran approx (10CM) 25mm (blue) pipe before making a joint with the old led pipe. Now for the replacement pipe do we stick to 25mm all the way or is there any benefit in going to 32mmor more?
cheers

Cant see a benefit of larger than 25mm.
25mm is normally adequate in most domestic properties up to 40m supply pipe length run.
Your not feeding the 5000! or are you?

Your plumber can do all the pipework ,digging out , stop tap connection.
Then leave a length of pipe sticking out the ground, at your property boundary (front pedestrian path for example) for the water board to make final connection.

They basically will want to see that the new pipe is dug in to the correct depth and that its sleeved through entry to property and gap between pipe and sleeve sealed
Depth is normally 750mm min. They are quite critical on this depth, any less they wont pass it.

We sub contract all Mains upgrades to company who specialize in Moleing,this actually causes a minimum amount of fuss and they are normally done in day

They are totally equipped for this job and will remove the old pipework where ever it enters the property and fit a new stop cock and reinstate the old suppy

They will need to be WRAS approved as well as the Local water company approval,this allows them to connect directly to the mains without any other permissions and regulatory pipework

I suggest you find someone local to youself,digging trenches is Old hat now days
:D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back