replacement windows in conservation area

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Do upvc replacement windows in a CA require Planning consent as well as building regs?

Sponsored Links
I don't know this well, but for a comparable job the contractor asked me to get permission, or confirmation that it was not required.

I wrote in and got a letter saying it was not required (so no need for application and fee).

IIRC sometimes they will not approve different coloured or styled windows. You can have a look on the council website where planning applications, and responses, can be publicly viewed. You will get a feel for their approach. Sometimes you can just copy a previous one.

Most conservatiON areas are protected by article 4 directions, which impose further limitations on your pd rights, so it's really down to that. Hopefully, uPVC will be prohibited by that direction.

Last edited by a moderator:
Flush fitting upvc are more likely to be accepted if there are restrictions.

Stormproof upvc with their chunky sightlines look horrible in almost all period houses.

Its such a shame that so many streets with Victorian and Edwardian houses, that originally had sliding box sashes have been replaced with upvc.

Even worse is when you get the odd one that has diamond leads in it.

Sponsored Links
Most conservatiON areas are protected by article 4 directions, which impose further limitations on your pd rights, so it's really down to that. Hopefully, uPVC will be prohibited by that direction.
Haha!
I agree with the sentiment though in this case I'm buying a house that already has them fitted, though with no sign of consent, so trying to assess my risk....

Last edited by a moderator:
For flats but not dwellinghouses IIRC

Blup

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back