Replacement Windows - what's the point?

Joined
16 Nov 2018
Messages
116
Reaction score
7
Country
United Kingdom
Many of our UPVC windows are now 27 years old and getting tired so I'm looking to replace them (I know I could just replace glass, seals, hinges etc but the frames themselves look really shabby now so I would like to replace the whole lot). The glass is old tech and of course new glass has much better insulation properties. But what's the point of having glass that insulates so well if you have a hole in the frame to provide ventilation? Surely the ventilation hole completely negates all the good work that the new super insulating glass does in keeping a room warm? Or am I missing something here?
 
It's all to do with being "GREEN".
You seal your house to the point that a cosmic winter won't affect it, but then you drill massive holes in the walls, subfloor and windows to prevent living in a rainforest.
Total nonsense.
In many years I worked in many properties of all ages and those built after the war are the best.
Cavity brick walls and bog standard roof that doesn't leak.
They accept cavity wall insulation and rafters rock wool.
They're warm and don't suffer from damp.
Of course, opening the windows everyday to ventilate works wonders.
New properties from 2000 onwards...I refused to do any work on them.
 
It's nothing to do with being green, its about maintaining ventilation. Replacing old leaky non airtight windows with 100% sealed replacement will inevitably lead to less ventilation. But unfortunately our esteemed leaders have made it mandatory, withdrawing the right to open a window as and when it may be required.

That said I wouldn't mind if our house had trickle vents, various windows around this place suffer from condensation on the inside in the mornings in the colder/wetter months but alas I've long since given up the 'leave the window open a tad to solve the problem' argument.

If you fit the windows yourself and get Building Control to sign them off they won't approve it without vents. Fensa approved fitters must also refuse to fit windows without vents nowadays however I have heard of some Fensa suppliers/fitters who will turn a blind eye and still give you a certificate.

Or don't bother with the approval or use a non Fensa supplier/fitter if you don't care about such things. Also you can get night vent keeps that enable the window to be kept open overnight but remain secure. But when you specify the windows you might want to make sure there is enough space in the window heads to accommodate a vent if you decide you need the after all.
 

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.


Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

 
Back
Top