replacing 12v spots with Mains

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
guys - looking for some help, im changing out 20 year old spots (transformer) in my kitchen and replacing with mains spots and 5W LED bulbs. I thought it was easy as cutting out the transformer and using the cable that is feeding the transformer to now feed the new spotlight, this leaves me with one cable, therefore im assuming they are coming from a junction box in the loft. I have now cut the transformer out and im left with a 2 core cable (see attached pic), which looks like a cable used for a Lamp, TV etc, doesn't feel right to me, as anytime I have done lighting in the past I have used much thicker cable. Any guidance would be appreciated, can I use the existing cable or do I need to find the junction box and replace all the cables. Thanks

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    33.1 KB · Views: 65
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    46.4 KB · Views: 62
Sponsored Links
Looks like flat T&E.
You will need to strip away more of it to find the centre conductor which connects to the earth terminal on the new lights.

thanks, just stripped back a couple of inches, no earth wire. cheers

Also, looks like the spotlights have been fed from numerous junction boxes, already seen a couple of them. see attached pics

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    47.1 KB · Views: 61
  • image1.png
    image1.png
    1 MB · Views: 56
Sponsored Links
Junction boxes should fit through the holes. Either remove the box completely and connect the cables to the new lights, or if they are junk lights with tiny terminals add another piece of T&E from the junction box to the light.

Junction boxes should fit through the holes. Either remove the box completely and connect the cables to the new lights, or if they are junk lights with tiny terminals add another piece of T&E from the junction box to the light.

OK, thanks, I will go ahead and replace the cables with T and E from Junction boxes, thought I could get away with not having to go into the loft. :LOL:

Actually - could I replace one of the cables in the junction box with T and E and then just run cables from spot to spot, would save me opening up multiple JB's in the loft. thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back