Replacing 2 gang switch with a 2 gang 2 way dimmer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm trying to replace a 2 gang switch with a 2 gang 2 way dimmer but am confused about the wires that I see.

There are 2 grey cables, the first has 1 live, 1 neutral and 1 earth. The second has 1 live and 1 earth.

Could someone explain where these cables should be going?
Homebase's instructions are possibly the worst i have seen and only makes things more confusing.

Cheers
Mark

Sponsored Links
This switch, is there only one switch controlling the lights?

You need to discover which of those conductors (probably a red) is live all the time.

This will be your live feed to both common sides of the dimmer. Of the remaining conductors, one will go to one L1 terminal and the other to the other. Which way round they are connected will depend upon how you want them arranged, ie: light on the l/h/s and light b on r/h/s or vice versa.

Don't forget that the black in this case is in fact a switched live, NOT a neutral, so mark it with red tape. And the bare earth conductors should be sleeved with green/yellow sleeving and attached to the terminal in the box. If your switch has a metal front plate, then you should attach a short length of sleeved 1.00 earth wire (or flex) to the earth terminal and connect the other end to the earth terminal on the switch plate.

Both the current switches work (controlling 2 sets of lights).

There is also a red wire conecting the 2 l1. I'm guessing that the 1 permenent live is used for both switches?

Thanks for the help I'll give it a try

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back