Replacing 2 way light switch???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have recently decided to replace a light switch. This switch I think is a two way switch. It is in the hall down stairs and has two stiches on it one which controls the light downstairs in the hall and the other for the light on the landing upstairs. The light up stairs can also be switched on or of with another switch which is upstairs on the landing. I stupidly took of the switch socket downstairs and never recorded where each wire goes. So now every time I wire them up either one works and the other light doesn't or they both switch on or off by just one switch. I am left with 5 red wires and havent a clue where they go, L1, L2, COM. If anyone can understand what I am talking about and knows how to fix this probelm, I would be very grateful if you got in touch. Many Thanks, Nick

Sponsored Links
keep on guessing, since they are all red its either that or get a multi meter and find out what does what

Thanks for the response, I have spent over 2 hours switching them around and found some very unusual outcomes but unfortunately not the one I want. It has blow the fuse twice. I'll just have to get a multi-meter like you said. Thanks, Nick

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back