Replacing 35+ year old radiators

Well that's a strange comment! Attitude

Oh come on Ffs... were you ever questioned about your 'attitude'?
Was it by your parents? whilst at school? First job? Stopped by Police?
How did it make 'you' feel?

As soon as someone mentions 'my attitude' in a sentence, towards me... the daggers come out and I guess you've had a few daggers pointing your way in the past. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Neither would I these days.... But at the time it was brilliant for laying in screeded floors.
One joint at manifold and one at rad.

Fair point.
When I've contracted for a firm... I do as instructed... when my name is on the customer's phone... they do as I instruct! :)

I'll repeat - Attitude - a settled way of thinking or feeling about something - and you certainly appear to have a settled way of thinking or feeling about 8mm pipework. I don't see why you're spitting the dummy.

Anyway, it's 8mm and that's the way it'll stay, albeit with 15mm tulips added, because it'll probably be easier going that route than trying to fiddle about in awkward places trying to get old olives off without mashing the pipe, and to take advantage of Screwfix's current TRV offer.

Sponsored Links
I don't see why you're spitting the dummy

And there you go again.
Yours is certainly not the approach I use when trying to learn something from colleagues who know better about their respective trades and professions.
I tend to be a little more humble and appreciative. And that tact has helped me learn a hell of a lot over the years.

Like many things in the heating industry, 8mm and 10mm coiled pipe was the be all and end all of everything, but through time it was proven to be the complete opposite and was just a cheap way of doing things, personally I can not stand the stuff and hate having to try and sort out the many problems that it causes, if you want to stick with it that is completely up to you, it is your home and your choice

Like many things in the heating industry, 8mm and 10mm coiled pipe was the be all and end all of everything, but through time it was proven to be the complete opposite and was just a cheap way of doing things, personally I can not stand the stuff and hate having to try and sort out the many problems that it causes, if you want to stick with it that is completely up to you, it is your home and your choice

What are these many problems.??

Same problems occur with any badly installed system. Internal corrosion is caused by oxygenated water not poor flow.
Most small bore systems have the valves throttled down to almost closed. The orifice in most TRV's is tiny.
Installed properly there are no problems.

Like I said before... prevention is better than cure. But cure is easier when you don't have tiny veins! :sneaky:

Same problems occur with any badly installed system. Internal corrosion is caused by oxygenated water not poor flow.
Most small bore systems have the valves throttled down to almost closed. The orifice in most TRV's is tiny.
Installed properly there are no problems.
each to their own but I would not have it or install it for anyone, and oxygenated water is not the only problem that causes blockages , I have cut out and replaced a lot more 8mm copper than I have ever installed new , I would never recommend anyone to keep 35 year old on new radiators , but as already said its not my decision.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back