Replacing 6 Foot Single HF Fluorescents

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
They are 6200lm tubes.

Bit of help, please.

I'm considering replacing them with Integral Lightspan fittings, as I have had a great experience with their LED slimline bulkheads.

My eyesight isn't the best anymore and I need a bright light most places I go.
The kitchen consists of two areas, each approximately 2.3m². Ceilings are white, 2.4m high and the walls are cream.

I don't have access anymore to a quality lighting calculator.

What size Integral Lightspan fittings would you choose?
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I've noticed now that turning on both flicks the smart meter monitor up from green to amber.

Another reason to change!

I remember in Sizewell 'B' finding a 58 watt fluorescent can use nearly double if capacitor missing and voltage a little high. This is not a problem with electronic ballasts, before the electronic ballasts you could get optimises which were auto stepping auto transformers as a small over voltage can mean a large increase in power used.

However with electronic ballast there is very little between LED and fluorescent, LED seem to be better the bigger they are, but range from around 60 to 110 lumens per watt, with a 5 foot tube around 100 lumen per watt, and a fluorescent is around 90 lumen per watt, so very little in it.

The problem is the replacement LED for 5 foot fittings is around ½ the output of the fluorescent. Also direction is a problem, I remember having a fluorescent work lamp, light was 360º so very good, but the LED tube is directional. This can work both ways. but the simple bulb with connections at the top very little spread of light as all from a small area, but with connections at bottom and light reflected off the ceiling the spread is far better.

So in general when going LED it is not a like for like, one has to look are where you want the light, and in domestic also look right. So my living room has a single ceiling rose, now has a chandelier with 8 SES bulbs, but not central so there is a dark area of the room, no real access to ceiling void to add a second ceiling lamp, so I have fitted LED lighting strip to the Ikea Billy Bookcase display cabinets smart so in the main run low output so just lights up items behind the glass doors, but I can turn them to white and up the output to 58 watt, that's 2 x 18 watt and 1 x 22 watt, this then makes up for lack of light that end of the room, but I can select how much light depending on what we are doing.

The problem prior the 'Smart' lamps was going around switching on or off lamps, but with 'Smart' easy a simple hey google turn off living room lights turns them all off. I do same with outside lights, one command turns them all off. Think my wife is loosing use of her fingers.

It seems the whole concept of lighting has been turned on its head, but as to
I've noticed now that turning on both flicks the smart meter monitor up from green to amber.
I am becoming a slave to the SCARTA display showing what I am using, dashing down stairs to put the dryer on before the batteries are full so we don't export power. Not got a smart meter so don't know what it shows, but I look at the five figures, solar, grid, use, battery charge/discharge and charge level, and I am becoming a slave to the display. We have the machines loaded ready to run, and switch them on when we have excess. May be it will wear off? But solar panels have changed our whole life style.

Sponsored Links
eric

So if you were swapping 2x 6ft (6200 lm each) HF flu fittings for LED, would you exceed 6200 to make up for the inherent differences in the LED fitting?

If I was swapping 2 x 6 ft I would be looking for maybe 4 LED fittings instead. I am at the moment looking at my kitchen, and I think lighting track is the way to go, so I can move from the single point where the light is, without access to ceiling, and not make it look like an after thought, which of course it is.

Lighting track may do to same as trunking, but looks as if designed to be like that, rather than an after thought. It's on my to do list.

When we refitted our kitchen we knocked it through to the dining room (we use a bigger room for dining) so now have a 6x3m kitchen. Due to the state of the artexed ceilings (stippled and fan) and a surprising difference in level we opted for the cheaper quick fix of ceiling grid tiles and down the middle is 4.8x1.2m of prismatic 1.2x0.6m tiles and a row of 3x5ft fluo tubes along the middle on 2 switches. Current tubes were fitted 2014.

Having some 5ft LED tubes to fit for a customer I thought I'd give one a try.

Well the difference in performance is astounding, no let's do that again ASTOUNDING.

With the prismatic tiles in place the LED's were very obviously dimmer to look at and how they illuminate surfaces. With the tiles removed the difference in appearance was so great it was hard to estimate light levels but the resultant illumination was down. Missus Sunray said it would probably be alright with another tube in place and when we get used to it. However fitting a new fluo tube blew the LED away. I was hoping, really genuinely hoping! that progress had been made (which I know it has as current tubes are superior to those of 5 years ago) and I was going to proudly fly the flag for LED.
In contrast the customer receiving the new tubes (in
1696794673671.png
fittings hanging on a metre or so of jack-chain) thinks they are the best thing since decent bread. I fitted them in bright natural light so not so easy to compare. Personally I'll describe them as 'only sliced bread' as far as my kitchen is concerned.

I briefly considered moving 2 of the fittings from the centreline to 300mm each side to see what that did but sadly thought it easier to refit the fluo tube and replace tiles.

Last edited:
YOU are aware 6ft fittings come in single and twin versions, according to the Internet, the fittings you like are 7800lm for the twin
Two of them i would say is ample, maybe even too much.
Led is improving constantly, it has too with the demise of tubes

Yeah, think they are 65W, so will save 10W between them compared to the existing lamps.

Was hoping to save a bit more swapping to LEDs.

Initially I was thinking of 5 foot twins.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back