Replacing a built-in fridge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Folks,

We have a built-in fridge which has developed two problems. Firstly, it frosts up very quickly. Secondly, the door has dropped and now fails to close properly.

So, time to replace it. Thing is, I don't know how old it is - it came with the house which we bought four years ago, and I suspect it had seen better days even then. What are the chances of finding something the right size and just swapping them? I have no idea where the units came from but the fridge is a delightfully named smeg.

Thanks in anticipation.

Sponsored Links
Should not be a problem getting a new one, just search for "integrated" appliances rather than freestanding ones.

Thanks jj,

Are these things all standard size? Can I replace with any brand? And is it just a case of unscrewing brackets and attaching new ones? (I'm the 'not' in diynot...).

Usually they are but you need to check the dimensions of you cabinet & compare with the appliance you choose to be certain.

Sponsored Links
Thanks again.

It appears that whoever designed our kitchen was an idiot. The fridge is located next to the oven which probably explains the failing door seal and the rapid icing-up. All I can do is replace and hope the next one lasts a while before going the same way.

On top of that, the only possible place for a free-standing FF is in front of the radiator. We use both - who manages with tiny built-in appliances these days? Would some sort of free-standing insulation panel between the radiator and the fridge work?

Our integrated freezer has been working for the last 18 years without any problem located approx 6 inches from a radiator in the kitchen. Perhaps it uses slightly more electricity by cycling more often but I can't say that I have noticed that happening. The temperature sensing is done internally not externally of the appliance so I doubt it makes any difference. Placing your FF in front of the radiator might affect the radiator more than the appliance if it has a thermostatic rad. valve but I doubt it.

Thanks for your help folks. I came back to mark this thread as solved, but I can't see how to do that.

Anyway, I haven't replaced the fridge yet, but I will do when I get round to it. Meanwhile, it's just turned off and we're relying on the freestanding one - thanks jj4091 for the positive comments.

Thanks for your help folks. I came back to mark this thread as solved, but I can't see how to do that.

Anyway, I haven't replaced the fridge yet, but I will do when I get round to it. Meanwhile, it's just turned off and we're relying on the freestanding one - thanks jj4091 for the positive comments.
Rapid frosting is usually caused by leaving the door adjar . If your doors a poor fit it would cause the rapid frost build up .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back