Replacing a ceiling light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI,
I'm new to this and have never replaced a ceiling a light before so would be nice to get some help.
I have a existing ceiling at the centre of the room which is rather dull so want to replace it with something brighter.
I have opened up the existing light fixture which fits into a hole of a diameter of 20cm. It's wired using what looks two wires to a white funnel type plastic withing the light fixture. The problem I'm having with this is how to remove the wires from the white funnel type plastic thing (appolgies for not knowing the technical term for this !) so that I can completely remove existing light fixture from the ceiling. Seems as the wires are somehow attached to the white plastic thing but can't really any screws.
I have yet to buy the new light fixture but thought I would remove the existing one first so that I see what my options are to replace it with.
Let me know if you need any more detail or indeed any pictures.

Sponsored Links
I think a picture would help as it sound like the plastic tube you are attempting to disconnect is actual part of the fitting and the hardwiring of your installation is at the ceiling rose.
20cm (near 8 inch hole) also sounds quite extreme!

I think a picture would help as it sound like the plastic tube you are attempting to disconnect is actual part of the fitting and the hardwiring of your installation is at the ceiling rose.
20cm (near 8 inch hole) also sounds quite extreme!
Ok, I have updated with pics.
Also, noticed there were screws which held the wires in place which I couldn't see before so managed to undo them and disconnect it.
Wondering if any recommendations on what to replace it with, maybe a spotlight with a cover base of more than 25cm?
I doubt I would be able to find a light fitting that will fight in the exact 20cm hole anyway since I assume its not standard. I will have to get a new light fitting larger i assume to cover the hole and screw over it. Hopefully, it will be strong enough to hold.

You'll not find a single downlight that big!

You'll have to get a surface light that is bigger than the hole you have.

Put a couple of pieces of wood above the plasterboard ceiling so you have something to screw into and to support the new light.

Sponsored Links
http://aurora.eu.com/ProductPages/LampProductDetails.aspx?g=2851&c=79&b=71&oc=79

That would fit with a bit of modification, and generally any 2 lamp compact fluorescent downlight like that will fit (might need the hole increasing a bit)

The only concern is how deep the void above is.

You could take PBoD's advice and get some noggins up into the void and fit something like this:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/white-circular-ceiling-light-60w/64021

That's a pretty good hole to make good on if you wanted to fill it, I'd probably think about getting a plasterer in to repair it

I have decided to follow your advice, so bought a 3 spotlight and a plank of wood which I'm going to screw into place around the edge of the existing hole then I will screw the new light fixture into the wood. Will let you know how I get on.
Thanks for all the repsonses, very helpful.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back