replacing a ceiling rose

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was trying to replace a ceiling rose yesterday. When I removed the old one there are 2 cables coming from the ceiling.
Cable 1- red/black/earth (i.e.a 3 core cable)
Cable 2- a separate red wire (i.e a single wire)
If I connect the 3 core (cable 1) to the new fitting the light is on permanently and the wall switch does not work (the room has only one wall switch). My assumption is therefore that cable 2 is from the switch. The new light fitting has only 3 terminals (L,N,Earth).
Any suggestions on how to wire this so the switch works?
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
electrocutie said:
I was trying to replace a ceiling rose yesterday. When I removed the old one there are 2 cables coming from the ceiling.
Cable 1- red/black/earth (i.e.a 3 core cable)
Cable 2- a separate red wire (i.e a single wire)
If I connect the 3 core (cable 1) to the new fitting the light is on permanently and the wall switch does not work (the room has only one wall switch). My assumption is therefore that cable 2 is from the switch. The new light fitting has only 3 terminals (L,N,Earth).
Any suggestions on how to wire this so the switch works?
Thanks.

You have not connected the switch wire correctly. you must have a live core red going to the switch and returning to the end live position on the rose prob black but should be red. I do not see how you have a single cable red core comming into the rose ? i would check this again.

How was the old rose wired? How have you wired the new fitting? Am I correct in assuming the new fitting has only a 3 terminal connector block. What wiring is at the switch?

Something doesn’t add up with the number of wires you have – there are some easy explanations but it depends on how things were wired before and at the switch. Without more info I’m a bit nervous that the earth wire isn’t earth. Proceed carefully.

sorry for hi-jacking the thread a bit but my question is related to the originator's. If you are putting up a 'flush mount' light to replace a std ceiling rose, what is the correct way of joining the cables from the main lighting ring instead of the rose itself? Being flush mount, the cables and the joining mechanism (crimps or JB or choc block) have to be 'lost' into the ceiling/floor void.

Sponsored Links
sorry for hi-jacking the thread a bit but my question is related to the originator's. If you are putting up a 'flush mount' light to replace a std ceiling rose, what is the correct way of joining the cables from the main lighting ring instead of the rose itself? Being flush mount, the cables and the joining mechanism (crimps or JB or choc block) have to be 'lost' into the ceiling/floor void.

if they are easy accessable then they can be used in a JB or terminal block. otherwise they have to be crimped

Lighting circuits can be wierd and wonderful, and often NOT textbook.

Try the single red (with outer grey sheath??) on the lights LIVE, and the live in the twin+E cable (your cable1) in a terminal block seperate to everything else.

Try that.

A description of what is conected at the switch may also help us. A Photo would be even better!

Yo - what's going on at the switch is crucial. Like 0 I'm worried that there just aren't enough cores to go round...

it could be possible that the light in question is the last on the circuit, which explains the T+E, and the switch gets a feed from another light in the same place ( double light switch with only one live feed). all i can come up with to explain the 2 cables.

electrocutie - what cires went where in the old fitting and is the light switch controlling it have another switch with it for something else?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back