Replacing a ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I'm considering replacing a ceiling and after some advice to get the aesthetics right as well as reducing movement and sound.

We're refurbing our house so the extra time spent on a new ceiling isn't a big deal. The ceiling finish is a heavily bobbled artex, with a few small patched-up areas, and visible joist lines so it needs plastering regardless.

We have a town house so the noise from above is an irritation and when people are upstairs, there's a lot of vibration and movement.

The floor above has been finished so I can't make any alterations there (should've replaced floor boards with sheet material and used more insulation).

I'm considering ripping down the ceiling to add insulation slabs then a thin sheet of ply (4/6mm) and DB check plasterboard fixed on the underside. The ply is to reduce movement/vibration and plasterboard for the finish.

Any opinions on this?

Also,which variation/brand of insulation would be best?

Sponsored Links
To try and reduce sound transmission through the floor you would ideally new independent ceiling joists that do not touch the existing joists then board with your double layer of plasterboard. If the spans/costs/existing ceiling height etc do not permit that approach then fit 'resilient bars' to the existing ceiling joists and fix your boards to those instead. Stagger the plasterboards.

Don't know what you think the ply will do, never seen it fitted or specified in the underside of a ceiling before that's why you use 2 layers of plasterboard.

You could leave the existing ceiling in place but will need to fix your resilient bars into the joists. You could shove some insulation in why you have the voids exposed if you rip the existing ceiling down.

100mm Rockwool insulation is cheap and little worse than much more expensive alternatives.

Don't expect any miracles.

Thank you - very helpful.

The idea behind the ply was to strengthen the easily vibrating floor and to add a sound barrier.

Not heard of resilient bars so will investigate.

Sponsored Links
An interesting looking item.

How stable are these? I'd be nervous about the plaster cracking if there's too much movement - the ceiling already bounces a lot and an additional three layers of materials will add to the wobble affect.

If I tear down the existing ceiling is the benefit gone? I'd like to put some insulation there, or is that irrelevant with the insulation between my new batons?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back