Replacing a cloakroom suite

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The toilet in my cloakroom is becoming very difficult to flush. As we don't much like the suite we decided to spend on replacement rather than repair.

Following general advice (haven't found anyone who can recommend me a plumber), rather than use yellow pages I went to the institute of plumbers website and put in my postcode (Oxfordshire) and got three hits.

I phoned all three and got answering machines for two and a receptionist for the third.

I left messages at the first two but they never phoned back.
Question: how can you get 3 quotes (as is usually recommended) if they won't phone back? Should I try elsewhere (e.g. yellow pages) and if so, how can I ensure getting someone good rather than a cowboy.

The one I did get through to suggested that for fitting my own purchased suite (I haven't decided whether or not to do this yet) they wouldn't give a fixed quote but would do it on an hourly basis, it would take about half a day and would be £48 per hour + VAT.

I have no idea if this is a reasonable hourly rate or if half a day is reasonable (assuming no problems) but one or two people have suggested an hourly rate of more like £15 (which sounds more like a cowboy rate to me) and much less than half a day.
Question: can anyone advise if the rate (for Oxfordshire) and time sound reasonable? (do you pay a premium for going for an AIPHE plumber?)

Many thanks in advance for any replies (PS I have spent some time searching the forum first but still then felt the need to ask).

Sponsored Links
whats involved...is it a toilet and basin swap only ?

JPC said:
whats involved...is it a toilet and basin swap only ?

Yes, toilet/cistern plus small washbasin to be replaced in same locations.

Sponsored Links
I like posts that discuss prices, I hate to think I'm working for less than I should be. I aim for about £17.50 hour.

Bathroom swap in half a day sounds lightning fast to me. (I am a bit ponderous though)

kevplumb said:
READ THE POST AT THE TOP WHICH ASKS YOU NOT TO ASK FOR A PRICE :rolleyes:

I did read that post.

I haven't actually asked for a price as such. The advice seems to be to get a range of quotes but how can I if the plumbers never ring back?

I'm just trying to get a feel for whether or not the hourly rate I've been quoted seems reasonable for the area (just south of Oxford) and also if half a day seems reasonable for a cloakroom suite swap (note: not a bathroom suite).

If it's reasonable then fine, I'll pay it. I just want some comfort that it is reasonable.

Anyone else got a view please?

So far one poster says he aims for £17.50 an hour which makes the quote I've had for £48 sound rather OTT (surely Oxfordshire isn't that much more expensive?) and another that said it sounds reasonable.

So I still have no idea whether the hourly rate and time I've been quoted is reasonable. I'd love to get more quotes but if the plumbers won't ring back I don't see how I can.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back