Takeaway Suites any good?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are currently replacing the basin and toilet in our En Suite bathroom. We have picked up the B & Q brochure which has some suites which you have to order and others that you can takeaway that tend to be much cheaper. Are these takeaway suites any good or would we be better of paying a bit more and going for one of the more affordable bought to order range? The lady in the shop reckoned the takeaway products are just a bit harder to clean but I am concerned they could be poorly made or crack/chip easily.

The reason I am looking at B&Q is that they have a 15% discount at the moment if you spend over £50. Are their suites OK or would you recommend somewhere else we could get a reasonable toilet and basin suite? We are looking to spend no more than about £250.

Sponsored Links
I have fitted B&Q take away suites and generally they look and work ok. I have had a few problems with parts not fitting properly or plastic parts breaking when tightened but as I am a plumber have been able to put them right. So if you have a knowledge of plumbing and patience you should be ok. You could try http://www.betterbathrooms.com/bathroom-suites/ who normally do some deals (check if it includes taps/wastes etc). Their delivery is good too.

B & Q suites are pretty good . Always ask for the discount though- even after the ''''sale''' has supposedly ended.
I'd trust B & Q anyday- rather than those more expensive shops that may not be around this time next year .
As Squeakey says- the fittings are not great- but - Good fittings are peanuts from local Builders Mechant--if required.

I'd be seeking out local plumbers merchants and seeing what they have available. B&Q is 150 yards from home, but I prefer to travel to somewhere with knowledgeable staff (that rules out Dum.. err Plumbcentre) and quality products with names I know. (Cooke & Lewis?!?!)

Most merchants have a "suite-in-a-box" to take away, so long as you don't want something out of the ordinary.

Sponsored Links
I'll second John there, and i'd also insist on unpacking the box before leaving the store (especially if you've a distance to travel home). Not unknown for several boxes to be opened only to find parts missing or parts of the chinaware smashed..... :eek:

Thanks for the advice guys. Good tip to check box before leaving. How do Wickes compare with B&Q? We have one in Chester and I'm planning to pop in tomorrow.

It all depends what there is on the day......one of my huge bargains in the past was from Homebase, (ex demo) so don't be afraid to ask!
Look at any biffed boxes with suspicion!
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back