Cost of fitting a bathroom suite

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just bought a nice bathroom suite from B & Q at a largely discounted price. Can anyone give me an indication of how much it generally costs to install this for me? I've heard it can often be more expensive that the bathroom suite itself.

The suite consists of a showerbath, pedestal sink unit and toilet. We currently have a shower cubicle in the place where we want the bath to go, but I would be taking that out prior to any fitting to save on costs. Would also need to move the sink a metre or so to the left, and the toilet a couple of feet.

Any ballpark figure will do, just need to know what a sensible price is likely to be around about.

Also would be keen to know if there is a likelihood of being able to sell on my old bathroom suite, do people buy this kind of thing?

Cheers
JCR

Sponsored Links
Just bought a nice bathroom suite from B & Q at a largely discounted price. Can anyone give me an indication of how much it generally costs to install this for me? I've heard it can often be more expensive that the bathroom suite itself.

Much more, much much more. The fitter will be delighted to see that you've been to B & Q though, so you may get a discount for that

The suite consists of a showerbath, pedestal sink unit and toilet. We currently have a shower cubicle in the place where we want the bath to go, but I would be taking that out prior to any fitting to save on costs. Would also need to move the sink a metre or so to the left, and the toilet a couple of feet.

That sounds like a lot of work, this is getting expensive.

Any ballpark figure will do, just need to know what a sensible price is likely to be around about.

No idea, what about tiling & electrics?

Also would be keen to know if there is a likelihood of being able to sell on my old bathroom suite, do people buy this kind of thing?

There is a currently a large demand for old bathroom suites. This is being fuelled by the need for sympathetic period renovations. In vogue especially are avocado green and whisper grey. If you have a yellow one, you're quids in. Lucky sod. Check down your local tip for current prices.

You're more than welcome.

JCR

They buy cast iron baths. I've seen some on ebay. As to the rest of the stuff, unless it really is quality period stuff I would doubt it. Would you want someone else's old lavatory? That aside, the sheds sell this stuff so cheaply - I saw a whole suite plus taps for around than £300, all clean and shiny, that it makes second hand stuff less attractive unless it's got something else going for it. Solid brass taps, for example, would be worth buying.

Sponsored Links
Bath store and all the others are equally cr#p!!

All imported cheaply and sold at exhorbitant prices!!

You get the same problems with a £3000 suite as you would with one costing £300!

I would not fit a £200 suite for less than £500!

So what exactly is it that costs so much?

I'd have no qualms about turning off the water and taking out the current shower cubicle, sink and toilet if it makes things easier.

As the man says "labour", plus all the little things that go wrong. Try DIYing it and you will understand; the professional does know the tricks but he also has to get paid for his time in sorting out the unexpected.

Rob

plus the extras like.

if you don't make any tea.
you get in the way.
if you ask to many silly questions.

that all adds up on your bill :LOL: ;)

So what exactly is it that costs so much?

Our expertise and professional tools, the quality of our work that we can deliver after building up years of experience. Then there is the higher level of finish and the peace of mind that the bog does not block up halfway through the winter and the shower won’t ruin your ceiling because the trap was not quite the right model or just a tad too loose.
You could of course find yourself a couple of hardworking plumbers originating from a country formerly known for its heavy duty curtain. Can not guaranty their skill, or that they will still be here when you want to talk about their guaranty, but they sure are a lot cheaper.

As a matter of interest, jcr, which bathroom suite did you buy from B & Q? I quite fancied their Winchester package but the bath panel looked so peculiar and didn't fit together properly that it put me off. I also looked at their showerbaths but their curved screens didn't seem to have any flange at the base to prevent water spilling out. I think it's little things like this that contribute to the 'cheap and cheerful' label. They do have some nice-looking stuff, though.

It's the B&Q Romsey Luxury Curved Acrylic Left-Handed Showerbath Suite.

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav/n...refview=search&ts=1196159071724&isSearch=true

Got it for £447 delivered (which is on thursday, 5 days after we ordered it which isn't bad) reduced from over a grand apparently.

I've certainly no intention of DIYing it, just wanted to know what figure i need to add to my ever growing list of outgoings.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back