Replacing a Galvanised Storage Tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok a customer has a 20x20x20’ 30 gallon tank above the cylinder, and it’s nice and snug, and also the loft hatch wouldn’t fit and umper lumper through.

So does anybody know the best place to get a like for like replacement from but in plastic? As the 25 gallon plastic tank is massive in comparison. I’ve tried, PC, BES, Screw Fix, B&Q and Wickes, surly theirs someone I’ve missed? If not any ideas of best solution, baring in mind the tank isn’t been used for anything more than 2 taps at present.

Old houses are stupid they should have been thinking of the future

thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Hi, I have the same tank-20'' 20'' 20''- in metal but it's in the loft, as I changed it's position long ago.
Looking at Wickes's plastic cold tank I would say that it should fit ok into the loft opening as is same size as tank above-usually.
Be warned-a plastic tank will need supporting moreso- which raises the question I'd like answered, if any kind person knows- What is the good strong make or makes to go for? And also can I couple up to the existing copper pipes, or do I need special washers?
Thanks for any replies in advance, apologies for butting in.

breezer said:
wont the plastic tank "fold" to go through the hatch?

the hatch is about 340mm wide by 440 long

and the tank is about 550 550 770

ive had to fit where the old tank was but now the door needs bringing out about about 4 inches to compensate for the extra i was just hoping somebody knew of an easier solution.

even the slimline tanks wouldn't of fit through the hatch

Sponsored Links
I would consider getting a good chippy in to make the loft hatch another joist/truss wider and bracing it, as long as customer would pay for it ;)

Is there room to replace with two smaller tanks?

the only tanks that i could do that with are the 4 gallon ones, and i would need to use at least 3. and if they wanted a shower :rolleyes:

the widening of the loft hatch is probably the best idea if i have a problem again, im just suprised you can't get galvy replacements, the guy is now gonna just extend the cupboard a bit to compansate for about 4 inches.

as soon as i'd put it in, the guy asks could the tank have gone the other way round? and i said well yeah but it would mean knocking out a bit of the cupboard wall, and he said yeah i thought so, and walked of chuntering to himself :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back