Replacing a Hive with a Drayton Wiser

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I've had a new system boiler and unvented cylinder installed, along with a Hive in the last few weeks. We aren't getting on with the Hive at all - connection from the thermostat is pretty erratic even in the next room to the utility where the controller is located, and the behaviour is really strange too (last night the heating overshot several times - I think it was having connection issues but not big enough issues to display the 'no connection' error message).

Also I had assumed I could add Hive smart TRVs in the future but from reading around they're pretty crap - not what you want when you're spending £50 per TRV!

One final note on the Hive - how they can justify charging £4/month just to be able to see your heating history is beyond me - fix the product first then start looking at ways to monetise the data later.

ANYWAY - I've received a Drayton Wiser 2 kit with two TRVs to get us started. I hoped that given both the Hive and Wiser system use a standard back plate I'd be able to swap them over pretty easily. For context I have quite a lot of experience with 'standard' household electrics and can use a multimeter and keep myself safe, but I haven't installed a heating system before so I'm not that familiar with reading the wiring diagrams.

This is the Hive 2 channel wiring instructions and a photo of how ours is currently set up:

hive2chan-jpg.210834

HtvUxczfSxepS-li848xlB9PmGh4bg3oANkn34EcAfPLNRc_g3ELsDJSXuZQ6HDQiD0ql7T3X1cz8YimgaliKVY1JdmndAh1UQp_rkruuiRhWPgEcTmgrfQMz_gQExjvOOi5wxn_1LHrzTDyEhwBpamLo1XphyN9li-NBaD2BxM7MN28UJYSX4ePi_7Ii2yO9ZbJMEyRk0x9V5NM0w50GNLD34lvyImLFyrYQ-CSZjfKArdY-Hqz6vA0P-0vNPO4z3tx7MMPRmomAjzKNmCGahDEfN__-5MnU1EEyWDVGI62u4HqtgmCbP0j80uCN8W_hveeRtMvBk_NYR47QQk9FrY5Z0DyJAtJu4LruRpuDb5QvCbukTsj4MYMzX61_58-av1YFht11txsX8keFyJr5PCpDfBza2De1GjUYA7bCICU4CRJPkdpxt1V3r_HU4P1ld7ihX-iYDLMiI3aaMU20xcShnhXG8z-PI1Kw6y7gtdyhFLsOazyUC3goEXqaGoctR5cjxyJH6_IiiFvfLSYoUDg0k9Z2LXtQJcnhebNXX25pD1i7p-IZ4lvyHJfaOe3Fps9susu1xbOd22aY2iRWaMsZO1OKxg7ei7XSt--WKeZBGoT2sAxozp-5Dfd2rigE4NLT4pBqVfW4UymtXGJvYTJDPGSU4oNBybsa8OspLkwZ76K_bjEZ1pRRm7zmo0J0XGRhrFtk9mdG0Vifn6vHJk1=w780-h1039-no

And here's the wiring diagram from the Drayton Wiser 2

upload_2021-11-29_13-32-47.png

It seemed a little odd that there's nothing connected to terminals 1 and 2 in the Hive setup we have (a qualified electrician did this so I'm assuming this is correct). Is it a straightforwards job to re-jig these for the setup that the Drayton needs?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
That's perfectly normal depending upon the type of plumbing system the controls are connected to. Some UK installations use terminal 1, and some don't need it. None (with very very rare exceptions) use terminal 2.

Looking at the two wiring diagrams you have posted, you can see the same terminal numbers have the same functions on both, so they are a straight swap.

N=N
L=L
1 Hot water off=1 HW off
2 Heating off=2 CH off
3 Hot water on=3 HW on
4 Heating on=4 CH on

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back