Replacing a Honeywell T3r with a Hive smart thermostat.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
16084194698695835674955863251390.jpg
20201219_141242.jpg
Good evening.

Last month i had a new Worcester Bosch 8000 style combi boiler installed with the Honeywell T3r remote thermostat fitted as standard. I am looking to install the Hive smart thermostat and i was hoping the switch over would be relatively easy. On looking at the wiring on the receiver it wasn't really what i was expecting. The boiler doesn't appear to be wired up as illustrated in the installation manual for a combi boiler. Can anyone shed some light as to why this may be, if it is right and what should go where on the new Hive receiver please?

Sponsored Links
Looks fine to me. Assuming you've bought a single channel Hive, it's Earth to Earth, Neutral to Neutral, Live to Live & 1, and A to 3

Muggles,

Thank you for your quick reply, very much appreciated. Do you understand my confusion based on the installation diagram for a combi boiler? It looks to me that A should be directly in to the boiler and not linked to the spare L. Do you know why this is? Am i right to assume A is currently 'heating on' signal and B is linked to L as a 'common'?

Thanks,

John.

Strictly speaking it is not wired correctly , and anyone reading this dont copy it, you have 230V switching at the boiler end so if you just wire it as @muggles says it will work, but if anyone has 24v switching at the other end this will be an expensive mistake

Sponsored Links
Ianmcd,

This boiler was installed less than 2 months ago by a registered gas safe engineer. Should i be concerned about the way it is wired up? Can you elaborate on your above comments please. What would you expect to see and is it easy to put right?

Regards.

Ianmcd,

This boiler was installed less than 2 months ago by a registered gas safe engineer. Should i be concerned about the way it is wired up? Can you elaborate on your above comments please. What would you expect to see and is it easy to put right?

Regards.
the wires in A&B in the existing thermostat should really come from the boiler thermostat switching terminals, but have seen lots wired like yours, as long as the other end is 230v switching it will work, but wont work with every boiler, to be honest cant understand why it wasnt done correctly as there are enough wires available to do it properly

Ian,

I can not understand why it wasn't done properly either. Is it something i could do myself or would you advise i get in touch with the company who fitted it and tell them they need to put it right? Would it have a negative effect on any warranty that i would get with the boiler as it has not been fitted correctly?

Just looked at the MIs for your boiler and the way it has been wired is fine , just use the same configuration, no the warranty wont be affected

Ian and muggles,

Thank you both for you time, it is very much appreciated. I shall wired up the new Hive smart thermostat and see what the outcome is.

So i have just installed the Hive smart heating system. I installed it as per the previous comments above however the boiler starts up when i ask it to via the app and remote thermostat but the radiators are not getting hot at all. I have hot water, just no heating.

Any ideas?

Any zone valves? Are the pipes getting hot?

So i have just installed the Hive smart heating system. I installed it as per the previous comments above however the boiler starts up when i ask it to via the app and remote thermostat but the radiators are not getting hot at all. I have hot water, just no heating.

Any ideas?
Do you mean the boiler actually fires up or do you mean the flame icon comes on at the hive thermostat, you will also have to set the boiler CH control to constantly on and let the hive override it

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back