Replacing a joist on a flat roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Re- boarding my ceiling and I've discovered one of the joist has irrepairable dry rot!! Joists are spaced at 400mm. Can I remove the rotten joist and replace without having to support the ceiling or will I have to get an acro??

Many Thanks.

View media item 17437
View media item 17438

Sponsored Links
Tricky one, as I assume the roof itself will be fixed to the top of the joist. Does the roof leak? The rot will be there for a reason, moisture and or lack of ventilation will cause it in a roof void.

Is there any insulation in the roofspace? What type? airgap?

When replacing the ceiling be sure to use foil backed plasterboard.

Ok just noticed photos, you'll need to remove all timber about 500mm past the rotten area, and fix a new one to the side of the old one with a couple of m12 bolts. Joist hangers fixed to the wall are far better than building joist ends into the brickwork. The roofing deck could also be infested so the whole lot will need treating.

As well as foil backed plasterboard, you'd be wise to get some insulation up there as well. Full fill would normally be used but given this problem I'd insulate partially and remove some of the bricks right at the top to let some air in. Remove at least one half brick between each set of joists, and at the other end as well, this will ensure a through flow of air between each set of joists and under the plywood deck. Cover gaps with some vents or stainless mesh.

When removing the rotten member cut upwards at an angle so the rotten end can be easily removed. You need not replace the short section of firring strip, just pack out every 400mm between the joists top/deck with some offcuts.

There's no evidence of any leak. Standard fibre loft insulation with about a 70mm air gap. Would there be any issues if I used standard plasterboard?

Don't use standard plasterboard, that's what causes problems like this in the first place by letting moisture from the room into the roof void.
If you have bought a load already then you can buy polythene vapour barrier which should be stapled to the joists before fitting the plasterboard, tape all holes/overlaps and leave no gaps at all.

Have you checked gutter? Could be leaking inwards and soaking fascias/joist end?

Replacing the insulation with a celotex/kingspan/xtratherm type will keep a lot more heat in. You could also just keep the existing and fix board insulation under the joists, will cost 20-30mm of ceiling height, but would be worthwhile.

You can get plasterboard with the insulation already fixed to it, but if you already have standard plasterboard then just buy the insulation seperate and screw through it with extra long screws when fixing the PB.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back