replacing floor joists

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any ideas on how i can replace floor joists which have suffered from rot over the 120 years they have been poked into the wall, I am wondering if I can support the floor from the cellar floor with acro props and cut out the half that is damaged and just replace them, there is a steel girder running across the room supporting all the joists centrally, it would be easier to just sort the two or three damaged ones than have to replace the whole floor, joist hangers are not really an option as they need to attach to masonary and the joists all go into the wall, any ideas or thoughts would be greatfully received thanks to all

Sponsored Links
it is possible to replace the rotten ends of joists.
the new would should be pre-treated, tanalised or the like, and cut ends retreated.
ensure the ends into the wall are wrapped in mositure resistant membrane.
the joints between the new joist and old joist should be glued.
additionally parallel gusset plates should be fixed at each side of the joint.
see here

the whole operation is reasonably involved and I would recommend a professional contractor perform the task.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back