Replacing a pull switch with wall switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I am working on an ex-bathroom (no longer used as a bathroom i.e. no water!) and want to swap the pull switch with a wall switch. I have removed the pull mechanism and put the three wires (red, black, earth)into a junction box in the loft space above. I have then added a length of new 1.0mm twin and earth to the junction box and wired this to the new 1 gang metal plate wall switch. This tripped the rcd. I have strapped the metal plate to the metal back box so I cannot understand why this is tripping. Any replies would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
When you say "three wires", do you mean three single cores, or three twin and earth cables?

Hi RF,
I mean three wires all contained in the original twin and earth cable which was connected to the pull switch.

Sounds like a wiring error either at the switch or in the junction box. Have you put the red in Common, Black in L1 and the green/yellow in the earth terminal on the switch?

Also the junction box has to be fixed and accessible so dont leave it 'laying' around in the loft, fix it to a beam

Sponsored Links
Er, think so. It's a bit dark to check right now, will look in the morning when its safe to do so and get back to you! Thanks so far. p.s. have you seen my other post about the shower cable?

Hi, I completely checked all connections, they were all in the right place but some could have been tighter...don't know if that was the problem but the switch is on and works fine - no more tripping! Thanks for the help. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back