Replacing a radiator with a towel rail

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've recently replaced the entire suite in my bathroom, re-tiled etc... and the last job to do is replace the old radiator for a more modern looking chrome towel rail. I need to remove my existing radiator, skim the wall behind and paint before fitting the new rail.

I do have a number of concerns about the order in which to do this.

Firstly, will i need to drain the entire system to remove my existing radiator or can i disconnect it and decorate?

Secondly, the radiator is feed with 10mm pipes and all the chrome towel rails I've seen are 15mm. Is this an issue?

Thirdly, as you can see from the photo the pipes are feed from one end instead of either side so i will need to extend either in 10 or 15mm?

Im aware of the drop in temperature output from a towel rail compared with a radiator but my bathroom is small and i hope this will not be a major issue.

Any advise on this topic would be much appreciated, thanks again for reading.

Bigwig

Sponsored Links
yes you need to drain the system. there is no isolation to one of the pipes on this sort of valve.
to get a decent looking result you need to lift the floor & convert the pipes to 15mm. run one under the floor & bring it up at the other end of the rail. fit chrome tails (for a chrome rail).

Thanks 'spacethegas' for your quick reply,

If i were to drain the system, remove the radiator and modify the pipework below the floor level could i then using 2 valves isolate the bathroom and turn the heating back on? I'm just concerned that I can't remove the old rad, skim and paint the wall, and install the new towel rail during the short time the waters off?

Thanks again for your reply, much appreciated.

Bigwig

Sponsored Links
or leave the heating side empty..boiler off and use immersion heater for a few days ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back