replacing a rusted gate valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi: I discovered a rusted gate valve (red handle on 15 mm pipe coming up through the floor and then going at right angles) with the handle shank rusted away so it won't turn (on the bottom left of the larger diameter pipes leading up to the central heating boiler - picture needs turning 90 degrees to be upright !)

Presumably in lets water into the central heating system - there are no leaks from it, but because the handle is rusted I don't know if its on or off, but probably on.

I would like to replace it, and can do basic plumbing with compression fittings, but would like to know if there are any precautions I should take, or things I should check before doing the job.

Any advice welcome !

Sponsored Links
I would say that was a by-pass valve.

Replace it with a Honeywell DU144 valve with compression reducing sets.

You will need to drain the heating system to do that.

Thanks Dan. The rusted valve looks like a bog standard 5 quid gate valve with the circular red shut-off handle you find under sinks. Its 15mm pipe as well and not 22 mm like the Honeywell.

Might it be to do with the water supply ?

Cheers

Red

Well if you know better than the professionals who do this work every day then one wonders why you bother to ask on here.

Loosening the gland nut might allow it to be turned.

You have been given the correct advice, pity you dont want to take it.

If you are concerned by the cost of doing it properly then thats simple! Just leave it alone.

Tony

Sponsored Links
I would say that was a by-pass valve.

Replace it with a Honeywell DU144 valve with compression reducing sets.

You will need to drain the heating system to do that.

I do this for a living.... :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back