leak Worcester heatslave 9.24

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i wonder if someone can give me some advice

I have a old Worcester heatslave boiler 9.24 and there is leak is on a valve ( its a gate valve)
the valve is on a 15mm pipe which is attached to the 22mm flow and return pipes on the central heating system What i want to know is how far to open the new valve when i put the new one on or do i keep it closed the wheel on the end of the old one has rusted away so i cant turn it to see how far it is turned on or off ? And why is it there as it seems to act like a bridge between the flow and return pipes Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sounds like its a manual bypass.

Better replaced with an automatic one.

I know that you are in Wales but a "leek" is a vegetable!

Water coming out is a "leak" !

Tony

Sounds like its a manual bypass.

Better replaced with an automatic one.

I know that you are in Wales but a "leek" is a vegetable!

Water coming out is a "leak" !

Tony

Well spotted Tony but if i was to replace with the same type of valve ( i have already bought one) how far would i have to turn it on or do you keep it off

To do the job the close it and open it until you JUST feel the cooler side start to get warm.

Usually a half to three quarters !

Tony

Sponsored Links
When you take the old valve out, have a look at the setting and copy it to the new valve before you fit it. That will be a good guide.

Most I come across are fully open!

It cannot be assumed that its correct.

My instructions will ensure its at about the right setting.

But an auto bypass is far better.

Tony

Most I come across are fully open!

It cannot be assumed that its correct.

My instructions will ensure its at about the right setting.

But an auto bypass is far better.

Tony
Just to be curious what would happen if the setting was not quiet right

Rob

You would have reduced flow through your rads, less heat output and your boiler would cycle more further reducing the heat output.

Its quite a common fault on a system where the owner has been fiddling.

To prevent this I remove the head from gate valves and tighten the gland nut.

Tony

Tony

Pure guesswork , an impossible task to explain over the internet , most I see are only cracked open in order to give sufficient flow through boiler hex , half to three quarters of a turn will short circuit system.

You haven't a clue what size circulator has been installed on this system either.

That's why I gave instructions to set it.

Just adding the likely setting to give an idea.

Most of the turning is just to take up the slack in the thread.

To do the job the close it and open it until you JUST feel the cooler side start to get warm.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back