Replacing a rusty old garage CU

Well, I suppose if we are arguing about semantics, if an RCD is duff out of the box is it not an RCD :)

Its still a RCD, but it is faulty.

Yesterday a farmer had 17 sheep. During the night, all but 9 die. How many sheep does the farmer have now?

Sponsored Links
When RF Electronics tells me which of the many RCD failures mode is 'duff' then I'll respond, as long as he does it politely :) It's not a very technical description, forgive me for not taking it seriously, which is why I put a smiley at the end of my answer. He can answer for himself, I am sure.

it is worth noting that the 'test' button on RCD's / RCBO's is only there to test that the mechanism is not seized. When a 30mA RCd / RCBO is installed it is tested 6 times with a meter that records it's disconnection speed in miliseconds. Almost every RCD will have a different reading. some ones won't disconnect in time, some wont disconnect atall, even if the 'test' button switches it off.

Sponsored Links
Duff means broken.

Not functioning properly, or at all.

I am forced to assume that:

Duff not functioning properly = out of spec.
Duff not functioning at all = open circuit or push button test does not disconnect.

If Duff not functioning at all then replace with another RCD. Repeat test for Duffness.

If Duff not functioning properly then it will be safer than not having an RCD at all.

Duff means broken.

Not functioning properly, or at all.

I am forced to assume that:

Duff not functioning properly = out of spec.
Duff not functioning at all = open circuit or push button test does not disconnect.

If Duff not functioning at all then replace with another RCD. Repeat test for Duffness.

If Duff not functioning properly then it will be safer than not having an RCD at all.
What utter twoddle. Duff means its broken and you need a new one. Full stop.

I'm no fan of bull**** laws either but unless you have properly tested it you don't know if it's 'installed correctly' or not. Is the SWA visible along it's entire length? Whats the earth loop impedance? Is your bonding up to scratch?

HAHA the guy was gonna do the job anyway, he just wanted someone to say he could do it, irrespective of his capabilities of ensuring it is safe.
Like most posts by incompetent people, they just want to be told they can do it, they dont care if it is safe or not, they think that because they are installing new stuff it must be safer. No consideration is taken in to account of the condition of the whole installation, weather or not it complies and they dont even know what disconnection times are.
Interesting comments 1john.
FYI, and just out of interest, I connected an 8k resistor from live to earth via a fast reed relay, and connected a dual-channel oscilloscope across the resistor. The second oscilloscope channel was connected directly across the mains. (Yes, it's got a 500V RMS input!) With the scope nicely synced to the mains, I was able to trigger the reed relay at any point in the mains cycle. Regardless of when, the RCD tripped within two mains cycles every time, which means that it operates within 40 milliseconds, which is good. However, I must point out to you that even if I hadn't tested it, the probability is that it would have worked and therefore improved safety.

Even if an RCD takes longer than it should, it would still likely provide worthwhile protection. To illustrate this: if you were required to use power tools outdoors at a house with an old fuse box on a damp day, and you found an RCD plug lying around, you would use it for your extension lead even though you had nothing more than the built-in test button to reassure yourself with, because the probability is that it would benefit you, and certainly not disadvantage you at all, so I think your criticism about not testing is somewhat OTT!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back