Replacing a security PIR light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am replacing an outside security light fitted with a PIR with pretty much the same fitting, only new and after disconnecting the old one, I found four wires, red, blue, green/yellow and a plain yellow, which I believe indicates a three-phase supply...? Not being terribly knowledgeable about that set up, can someone tell me how to wire the new fitting which is obviously asking for the newer live brown, blue neutral and the green/yellow earth? I've seen a wiring diagram that has the yellow to live and the red to the spare, is that correct? Thanks in advance!

I have rewired exactly the same as before but the light does not work, Any suggestions. Thanks

Read more: https://www.diynot.com/diy/conversations/wiring-in-pir-light.34604/#ixzz64nsMKxDQ

Sponsored Links
No, not threee-phase, just three wires.

The old might have been wired so that you could bypass the PIR and have the light on when you wanted,

Can't say how it was wired before but obviously Yellow/Green Earth and likely Blue Neutral.
You will have to test the Red and Yellow to determine which is Line(live) either with the switch on and off.

The wires do not know what colour they are and can be used for anything you want although there are conventions but who knows what the previous owner did.

Do you have a multimeter? If not, get one and learn how to use it before you do any more electrical work.

Also - many an hour has been wasted over faulty new products.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back